Welcome to the new Woodmann RCE Messageboards Regroupment
Please be patient while the rest of the site is restored.

To all Members of the old RCE Forums:
In order to log in, it will be necessary to reset your forum login password ("I forgot my password") using the original email address you registered with. You will be sent an email with a link to reset your password for that member account.

The old vBulletin forum was converted to phpBB format, requiring the passwords to be reset. If this is a problem for some because of a forgotten email address, please feel free to re-register with a new username. We are happy to welcome old and new members back to the forums! Thanks.

All new accounts are manually activated before you can post. Any questions can be PM'ed to Kayaker.

Fravia Search challenge

Kayaker

Post by Kayaker »

I forget the exact search terms that indirectly got me there. Initially I was trying to find it in terms of creating the digital effects of the video itself (flashing, negative images, etc.). While those might be useful search terms, and are indeed part of the effect, the subject matter was all wrong.

Then you mentioned the university course where you saw it and I started searching under a different category. Somehow I stumbled over a reference to the site and found the exact file you uploaded. The funny thing is, it was only after it was explained that I realized I was being fooled into seeing something that should be impossible in a 1 sec clip. I simply accepted the illusion without questioning it, that's why I'm somewhat chagrined ;)

The question to ask yourself then, in 1 word or less, is what visual effect are you seeing or perceiving? Is that possible in the number of video frames provided? Ignore the fact that it happens to be a motorcycle you're looking at.
Iwarez

Post by Iwarez »

Found! I must say your and kayaker's reponse helped a lot in the search. After I knew what I was searching for it was a matter of 5-10 minutes. Gotta love google :)
Woodmann

Post by Woodmann »

I could lie but I will not.

I cant find it and I prolly spent 3-4 hours looking.
Even with hints I cant find it.

I must be thinking about it too much.

Wood
JMI

Post by JMI »

Maybe it has something to do with the "visual effect" which makes it "appear" that the motorcycle is moving, which it actually isn't! :eek:

Regards,
JMI
Iwarez

Post by Iwarez »

Whoa, the great woodmann can't find it? However, according to JMI's reply I guess the 'googlemaster' did find it? :)

Maybe it helps that I found a pdf file first which contained an image of the motorcycle and a reference to the author of the picture. After that it was a piece of cake.
JMI

Post by JMI »

Had a little time to actually try searching this morning. With the clues provided, took only a few minutes to find this particular "clip" on the net. What worked for me was a three word search criteria.

This is NOT from that search criteria, but from a "reference" about the effect which we observed:

"... (what we see) can be explained by a biphasic temporal impulse response that modifies the stimulus delivered to motion energy sensors. It offers a basis for further research on temporal and motion responses in the visual system as well as a tool for animators and graphic artists to create consistent apparent movement from minimal external stimulation."

My initial search criteria actually discovered the creator of this clip, which I didn't realize at that moment. Or at least I hadn't gone through all the links before I thought of another criteria to use to search, which found a copy of what appears to be the original clip.

Apparently, an "improved" version of this effect actually won a prize in a competition.

[EDIT] Created a slightly edited version of my three word search criteria, which produced the clip as part of the first hit, even though the search criteria does not contain the creator's name, which I had already discovered.

Thanks to disavowed for this interesting challenge and the very interesting subject matter.

:yay:

Regards,
JMI
Iwarez

Post by Iwarez »

Interesting. The information you post about an improved version can't be found on the page I found. I wonder whether the clip is hosted on multiple pages. Well, it is the internet afterall. It probably is. Can't wait until the webpages can be revealed. After that I really would like to take a look at the improved version. I found the original already very interesting.
JMI

Post by JMI »

Iwarez:

PM coming to you with the initial link I found, which contains a link to the "improved" version. I'll also give you my search criteria.

Regards,
JMI
Woodmann

Post by Woodmann »

I still cant find the fucking thing.

At this point, I am so irritated I dont care.
Even though I will continue to look :D .

Woodmann
disavowed

Post by disavowed »

Woodmann, JMI's earlier post should help you find it:
JMI wrote:"... (what we see) can be explained by a biphasic temporal impulse response that modifies the stimulus delivered to motion energy sensors. It offers a basis for further research on temporal and motion responses in the visual system as well as a tool for animators and graphic artists to create consistent apparent movement from minimal external stimulation."

My initial search criteria actually discovered the creator of this clip
babar0ga

Post by babar0ga »

Damn! Got it!
JMI helped a lot...
Woodmann

Post by Woodmann »

It seems that you need An exact search phase to find it ?

Woodmann

(I did find it)
Woodmann

Post by Woodmann »

This is the latest search challenge from F+.

Good Luck.
Woodmann

There seems to be some technical difficulties uploading a .jpg

Here is the link:

http://www.searchlores.org/searching_im ... 2008_1.htm
disavowed

Post by disavowed »

I tried Google-image-searching for the type of media, the type of day, the characters portrayed, and the location, but http://images.google.com/images?q=oil+hot+women+beach returned something different from what I was looking for.
Iwarez

Post by Iwarez »

This one proves to be hard... I tried several combinations in several search engines but to no avail... Let's sleep and start fresh tomorrow.