Welcome to the new Woodmann RCE Messageboards Regroupment
Please be patient while the rest of the site is restored.

To all Members of the old RCE Forums:
In order to log in, it will be necessary to reset your forum login password ("I forgot my password") using the original email address you registered with. You will be sent an email with a link to reset your password for that member account.

The old vBulletin forum was converted to phpBB format, requiring the passwords to be reset. If this is a problem for some because of a forgotten email address, please feel free to re-register with a new username. We are happy to welcome old and new members back to the forums! Thanks.

All new accounts are manually activated before you can post. Any questions can be PM'ed to Kayaker.

SHA-1 Collision Search - New approach

To discuss DES MD5 El-Gamal RSA PGP and others....
OHPen

SHA-1 Collision Search - New approach

Post by OHPen »

Maybe this is interesting for someone.

It's a distributed attack on SHA-1. They try to find collision with a interesting approach.

http://boinc.iaik.tugraz.at/sha1_coll_search/

OHPen
- Reverse Enginnering can be everything, but sometimes it's more than nothing. Really rare moments but then they appear to last ages... -
LLXX

Post by LLXX »

This is the same technique used for MD5 (sequential multi-message modification via tunneling), though in the case of MD5 it takes only a few seconds, while for SHA-1 the search space is much larger.
The applications run by SHA-1 Collision Search Graz may cause some computers to overheat.
What.
[ ~Litana L.X. Xahanien~ ]
blurcode

Post by blurcode »

To overheat, not burn to ashes :P
A picture worth 1K words (or .5K DWORDS).
OHPen

Post by OHPen »

@LLXX: I think the remark refers to a 100 % cpu efficiency. I think we shouldn't take it literally. :D

OHPen
- Reverse Enginnering can be everything, but sometimes it's more than nothing. Really rare moments but then they appear to last ages... -
dELTA

Post by dELTA »

Getting even closer...

Differential Path for SHA-1 with complexity O(2^52):
http://eprint.iacr.org/2009/259.pdf
"Give a man a quote from the FAQ, and he'll ignore it. Print the FAQ, shove it up his ass, kick him in the balls, DDoS his ass and kick/ban him, and the point usually gets through eventually."