Welcome to the new Woodmann RCE Messageboards Regroupment
Please be patient while the rest of the site is restored.

To all Members of the old RCE Forums:
In order to log in, it will be necessary to reset your forum login password ("I forgot my password") using the original email address you registered with. You will be sent an email with a link to reset your password for that member account.

The old vBulletin forum was converted to phpBB format, requiring the passwords to be reset. If this is a problem for some because of a forgotten email address, please feel free to re-register with a new username. We are happy to welcome old and new members back to the forums! Thanks.

All new accounts are manually activated before you can post. Any questions can be PM'ed to Kayaker.

checking in

WaxfordSqueers

checking in

Post by WaxfordSqueers »

I'm checking in every day. Still working on summer stuff, like painting, yuck. Also, following with interest the release of XP SP1 code and how to reassemble it. Any interest?
Kayaker

Post by Kayaker »

Same here, checking in, waiting for world implosion, same old stuff.

XP source could be an interesting read. Might be some bad use made of it. Some good maybe. Wine, ReactOS?
WaxfordSqueers

Post by WaxfordSqueers »

Kayaker wrote:Same here, checking in, waiting for world implosion, same old stuff.

XP source could be an interesting read. Might be some bad use made of it. Some good maybe. Wine, ReactOS?
I'm waiting for the covid insanity to end. 230 deaths in BC and they are carrying on like its a second coming of the bubonic plague.

Some links:

https://github.com/window-chicken/windows.xp.whistler

https://gist.github.com/nk2IsHere/f902851893601d974e772631f64fabb9
TBone

Re:

Post by TBone »

Kayaker wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:36 pm Some good maybe. Wine, ReactOS?
Maybe, but not really. It's fruit of the poisoned tree. If a developer has seen the XP source code and then contributes something to Wine/ReactOS, MS can argue that it's a derivative work and blow the whole thing up. The ReactOS team has blogged about how they've decided to deal with it:

https://reactos.org/project-news/reset- ... g-road-03/

They're taking the position that "If you've seen part <foo> of the Windows XP source, you can't contribute to part <foo> of ReactOS. Ever."

Honestly, I'm not sure that's quite strong enough. If I were them, I'd stick to a stricter clean room model: "if you've seen the XP source code, you can write system specifications, but you can't contribute any actual code". I guess time will tell. MS feels less litigious these days. Azure is their cash cow now, not Windows. They'd probably be happy to get rid of it if they somehow could.