Welcome to the new Woodmann RCE Messageboards Regroupment
Please be patient while the rest of the site is restored.

To all Members of the old RCE Forums:
In order to log in, it will be necessary to reset your forum login password ("I forgot my password") using the original email address you registered with. You will be sent an email with a link to reset your password for that member account.

The old vBulletin forum was converted to phpBB format, requiring the passwords to be reset. If this is a problem for some because of a forgotten email address, please feel free to re-register with a new username. We are happy to welcome old and new members back to the forums! Thanks.

All new accounts are manually activated before you can post. Any questions can be PM'ed to Kayaker.

real DOS

WaxfordSqueers

real DOS

Post by WaxfordSqueers »

Had a bit of a laugh today. Reading up on ntvdm.exe which is the DOS emulator for Windows. I am running XP and I opened a CMD window to see if it would run edlin, the old DOS line editor. It ran but claimed a file name must be entered. Decided to try mem to check memory.

I should mention that the moment I entered edlin as a command the directory tree changed to 8-bit. For example, C:\Documents and Settings became c:\DOCUME~1\. If I enter D: at that prompt it takes me to D:\ but if I enter C: at that prompt it takes me back to the C:\DOCUME~1 prompt.

After entering mem I got:

655360 bytes total conventional memory
655360 bytes available to MD-DOS
594816 largest executable program size

1048576 bytes total contiguous extended memory
0 bytes available contiguous extended memory
941056 bytes available XMS memory
MS-DOS resident in High Memory Area.

I was wondering why they kept config.sys and autoexec.bat around. I have run sice for DOS in such a Window but can't think of any use for that today.

Don't know if this is available with the x64 bit Windows versions. Don't know if it would run in a VM with a 32-bit version of Windows running.
esther

Post by esther »

someone created a 64 bit program NTVDMx64 by Leecher1337,it's not a microsoft program,dunno if it works in 64 windows,I didn't tried coz I don't have 64 bit os
esther

Reverse the code,Reverse Your Minds First