Welcome to the new Woodmann RCE Messageboards Regroupment
Please be patient while the rest of the site is restored.

To all Members of the old RCE Forums:
In order to log in, it will be necessary to reset your forum login password ("I forgot my password") using the original email address you registered with. You will be sent an email with a link to reset your password for that member account.

The old vBulletin forum was converted to phpBB format, requiring the passwords to be reset. If this is a problem for some because of a forgotten email address, please feel free to re-register with a new username. We are happy to welcome old and new members back to the forums! Thanks.

All new accounts are manually activated before you can post. Any questions can be PM'ed to Kayaker.

Fravia Search challenge

Woodmann

Post by Woodmann »

This is the latest search challenge from F+.

Good Luck.
Woodmann

There seems to be some technical difficulties uploading a .jpg

Here is the link:

http://www.searchlores.org/searching_im ... 2008_1.htm
disavowed

Post by disavowed »

I tried Google-image-searching for the type of media, the type of day, the characters portrayed, and the location, but http://images.google.com/images?q=oil+hot+women+beach returned something different from what I was looking for.
Iwarez

Post by Iwarez »

This one proves to be hard... I tried several combinations in several search engines but to no avail... Let's sleep and start fresh tomorrow.
babar0ga

Post by babar0ga »

Any progress on this? I spent few hours looking for this one but nothing...
Silkut

Post by Silkut »

babar0ga wrote:Any progress on this? I spent few hours looking for this one but nothing...
You mean on the latest +F's riddle ? Actually there is quite a lot of hints on the Seeker's msgboard. I did not found it though.
Please consider donating to help Woodmann.com staying online (here is why).
Any amount greatly appreciated. Thank you.
babar0ga

Post by babar0ga »

Yes, i saw those hints. Also, nothing here.

It's hard...
Silkut

Post by Silkut »

Hmm as said in the challenge announcement, we should try to focus on the right part of the painting, because looking for paintings from the possible authors from this specific art movement (hopefully quite easy to situate in the time) is not an easy task, I start to think about someone inspirated by les maîtres en la matière.
Woodmann

Post by Woodmann »

I still have not found it.
I have found many that are close.

Woodmann
Kayaker

Post by Kayaker »

I'm certainly no art connoisseur, but on first impression (no pun intended), it doesn't strike me as Eugene Boudin's work as was suggested, though the subject matter and style are certainly similar.

Two things in particular, most of his paintings online seem "darker" than the search challenge image. Even when he uses the bright yellows, reds and blues, the sea and sky always look more brooding and ominous.

Second is that his faces almost never have any detail, sometimes completely lacking facial features entirely. Whereas the kids at least in the search picture have eyes, ears and noses.

The challenge image just seems sharper and bolder, there are clear outlines and the figures stand out individually when compared to many of Boudin's paintings, where you generally see a mass of humanity all kind of softly blended together.

But what do I know, I'm just talking out of my ass, don't think I've ever been to an art gallery in my life and normally wouldn't give such a painting a second look.

But from a reversers perspective where everything should be viewed with suspicion,.. it just don't look right to be Boudin. Art Zen?

It wouldn't surprise me if the missing part the ladies are looking at with a spyglass is a ship like the children are playing with..
JMI

Post by JMI »

I had that same thought. And of course, one of the hints was "what they were looking at."

Regards,
JMI
Silkut

Post by Silkut »

Thou art right Kayaker, the lack of details on faces also eliminates Berthe Morisot. I started from Monet's paintings and looked at his master and the people he inspirated. Am I the only one to find a land on the (middle right corner) horizon ?
JMI

Post by JMI »

Pure speculation here, but I was "assuming" that they would be watching a departing ship, more than likely carrying someone of significance to the woman (women) and children, who are playing with such a ship.

I haven't found it either yet, but time has been limited for serious searching. Now I wish I had taken some Art classes in college. ;)

Regards,
JMI
Woodmann

Post by Woodmann »

What strikes me as odd is that someone would paint such a thing with the women looking at something but not show what they are looking at.

I would be very surprised if the painting was from a "master".
Since I have looked at virtually everyone who is a "name" as an impressionist, I think searching by a name will be futile.

Here are some of the keywords I have used, maybe someone can use them.

Sea, ocean, beach, seaside, seashore, waters edge, shore, victorian, women, children, kids, holiday

Lets figure this out together. Post your search words .

Woodmann
JMI

Post by JMI »

Woody:

Under the Rules on the Search page, as Item # 3, it states:

The image pp_002.jpeg, published below, has been cropped on the right side (the signature of the painter was there), one wonders what the two ladies are looking at...

I took this as a suggestion that what they were looking at might also have been cropped, but, again, that is speculation from what was said. However, as you noted, it would be somewhat unusual to show subjects looking off into the distance, particularily with "glasses" of some type, without at least some hint of what they might be looking at, unless, perhaps the name of the painting would somehow identify what the "missing" object might be.

Regards,
JMI
Woodmann

Post by Woodmann »

OK then........

We need to come up with some search words that will help us with what is missing IE;

Boat, ship, storm etc;

Woodmann