Welcome to the new Woodmann RCE Messageboards Regroupment
Please be patient while the rest of the site is restored.

To all Members of the old RCE Forums:
In order to log in, it will be necessary to reset your forum login password ("I forgot my password") using the original email address you registered with. You will be sent an email with a link to reset your password for that member account.

The old vBulletin forum was converted to phpBB format, requiring the passwords to be reset. If this is a problem for some because of a forgotten email address, please feel free to re-register with a new username. We are happy to welcome old and new members back to the forums! Thanks.

All new accounts are manually activated before you can post. Any questions can be PM'ed to Kayaker.

soft ice in a VM and Windbg growing pains

Questions concerning tools (other than OllyDbg) - IDA Pro, SoftIce, member contributions, etc.
<b>NOTE:</b> You must <b>always</b> make sure you cannot find what you are looking for in our <a href="/collaborative/tools">Collaborative RCE Tool Library</a> before asking for <b>any</b> tools that can do this or that though!
WaxfordSqueers

Post by WaxfordSqueers »

Kayaker wrote:Would the "glitch" be visible as a byte difference I wonder, even if not understood as representing such?
The glitch seems to be related to either the VM config or the firewall. I changed the VM config to

vmmouse.present = FALSE
svga.maxFullscreenRefreshTick = 5

and shut down the firewall. I should have done them one at a time but I got impatient.

Anyway, stepped into U32 ok. So far, so good. Or as you folks back East say, si tant, si bon. :-)
WaxfordSqueers

Post by WaxfordSqueers »

Kayaker wrote:Oh Boy, now you did it!
I'll say. Just ran into the problem you described where I got tangled up in VM garbage while tracing the kernel.

Did you ever find a solution to dealing with that? I backed out using the stack but went too far and activated the app I am tracing. I think you mentioned something about setting a BP as soon as you enter the kernel.

The problem with this app is that it uses a lot of win32k.sys processing windows. I ran through a waitforinputidle, or something like that, and I think that lead into the VM garbage.
Kayaker

Post by Kayaker »

You mean this?

http://www.woodmann.com/forum/showthrea ... ion-issues

It was just a thought.
WaxfordSqueers

Post by WaxfordSqueers »

Kayaker wrote:You mean this? http://www.woodmann.com/forum/showthrea ... ion-issues It was just a thought.
Yeah, that's the one...thanks. For some reason, other than a small interruption from the supposedly turned off firewall (I guess the driver keeps doing its thing), I had a lengthy session in the VM with no interruptions.

If I run into more crap, I'll explore the use of your TID method.

In my first venture, I tried to trace right from the mouse capture...bmsg hwnd 203 (WM_LBUTTONDBLCLK) but I got caught up in some hairy win32k stuff, and that lead to the VM stuff. Getting smarter on trek #2, I set a BP in shell32, where I had traced successfully in a non-VM situatation, and it was pretty clear sailing.

My mind is getting bent with object theory, stuff like SHITEMID lists and PIDLs, apparently pronounced 'piddle'. The IDL is the system's equivalent of a path, with structures beginning with the structure length and ending with a NULL entry to indicate the end of the list.

My BPX was on _ShellExecuteExA, which takes a pointer to a SHELLEXECUTEINFO structure. As you trace from there through shell32, it interacts with OLE 32, and Shlwapi to parse the path and create IDLs and objects. I am hoping it will sooner or later reveal a connection to the MFT structure in the NTFS file system via NTFS.sys.

I have already found such a connection via CreateFile to the filecache but it is too far along and the file location seems to have been located in the MFT already. I am trying to understand whether the handle retrieved by CreateFile comes after the MFT has been accessed or before. It seems that by the time CreateFile gets a handle for the file, the file is already loaded into memory.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx

If you look at the structure members you can see the file/directory parameters, etc.