Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seed Key and Algorithms

nobber

Seed Key and Algorithms

Hi

We have a number of projects which we have 2 byte and 4 byte seed key challenge responses, and as you can imagine they are sometimes an aboslute pig to decode and come up with an algorithm or calculation to emulate the seed key.

These are mainly used on diagnostic routines between diagnostic equipment and the vehicle.

Is there anyone or company that anyone knows that offers solutions to this type of problem ? or any suggestions how we can approach them ?

Thanks

Greg Chambers
    Advanced Diagnostics
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

Quote Originally Posted by nobber View Post
    to emulate the seed key.
    You need not emulate, merely copy+paste of the code (with minor alterations, of course) is good enough.

nobber
    When you say copy and paste the code ? what code ?

We are talking machines that run on PC's and getting the code that runs the seed key is like needle in a haystack.

I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

I think LLXX is talking about the algo code, afaik RCE is reverse engineering about code, I also wonder how would we be able to help you without some snippet ? =)
    Please consider donating to help Woodmann.com staying online (here is why).
    Any amount greatly appreciated. Thank you.

nobber
    OK, here goes...

On a particular vehicle Ssangyong we have to talk to the Engine Control ECU on the car via a ISO protocol communication standard.

Within the protocol, there is a 4 byte Algorithm that you have to send a command to.

We have emulated the command and can have the machine sit here number crunching and have obtained about 200,000 codes.

However, to get a reasonable percentage would take about 10 years.

So, we need a person or company to take the codes we have and work out the algorithm.

We can emulate the algorithm, but the ECU needs a response in 3 seconds, and that is just not possible to get the code emulate it with the car diagnostic kit and send a response back.

Basiclly it is working out a calculation for the algorithm, from the codes we have...

Here is a few examples for seed and key...

00000001,00000000000000000000000000000001;
    65C29B86,01100101110000101001101110000110;

00000002,00000000000000000000000000000010;
    F5DB24B1,11110101110110110010010010110001;

00000003,00000000000000000000000000000011;
    B5F4679F,10110101111101000110011110011111;

00000004,00000000000000000000000000000100;
    97E752A2,10010111111001110101001010100010;

00000005,00000000000000000000000000000101;
    20D59C62,00100000110101011001110001100010;

00000006,00000000000000000000000000000110;
    5BB04370,01011011101100000100001101110000;

We are willing to pay for help by the way if we can find
    someone good enough.

Regards

Naides is Nobody
    Nobber, I think you are talking too fast.

Explain the problem again, for somebody (nobody) that is not working in your company and does not have hands on experience with the problem, using terms that are not so much hardware engineering specific, or rather lay terms, and may be someone here can give you suggestions.

For instance: my interpretation:

You have a specific vehicle Ssangyong and you want to reverse engineer the communication protocol that is used to interrogate it. Right??

Is that software protocol available? For sure someone (The manufacturer), somewhere does communicate successfully with the ECU. Can you get your hands on the software?

reversing the Software is much simpler than reversing the communication protocol as a "Black Box Problem" .

OK. I assume you do not have that software, key algorithm or means to get it.

"Within the protocol, there is a 4 byte Algorithm that you have to send a command to."

I do not understand that sentence. Please elaborate.
    What is 4 bytes? the message you send to the car's ECU? Then the ECU sends back a 32 bit answer back?

"We have emulated the command and can have the machine sit here number crunching and have obtained about 200,000 codes."

How have you emulated the command? What is a command: a 4 byte key??

From what I gathered you have coded a program that sends a 4 byte challenge and reads the 32 bit response, and you are trying to brute force it, collecting pairs of challenge-responses. . . right ?

What I still do not understand is once you have the "conversion formula" the "translation pattern", meaning learning how

00000001;

elicits

65C29B86;

Somehow allows you to perform some communication with the ECU unit.

More likely , I completely missed the point of your problem/question.

<script>alert(0)</script> disavowed's Avatar
    please don't tell me this is going to be used for stealing cars...

If so, he's not doing a very good job of concealing his identity.

http://www.advanced-diagnostics.co.uk/htm/Main.php

Apparently his request may have something to do with:

Transponder Key Programming equipment.

But that's just a guess.

Regards,
    JMI

nobber
    Ok, OK...

It is not for stealing cars. It is for programming keys when you lose your keys or want to add another one.

We do have equipment that does this, this equipment is what dealers use.

What we do is provide the same type of equipment to Locksmiths who can then do the same thing around the world.

What the manufacturers do is insert security algorithms to stop people offering equipment outside of the dealer network.

Thats what we do, but to steal a car as you say, you need to 1. Cut a key the same as the car you are going to steal, 2. Get the security Pin code to program that key, 3. Have equipment to program that key.

We do option 3, thats it.

Back to the problem....

4 bytes, which means it is made up of 1 byte = 1111 1111 in binary or FF in Hex.

So 4 bytes = FF FF FF FF

So they give us a SEED = FF F1 12 1B for example and then we have to give a 4 byte response = XX XX XX XX (This is the bit we need)

The codes in the earlier post are examples of what the dealer machine receives and sends.

We are looking for people who are able to work out these calulations, and my post here was speculative, and see whether anyone has that capability.

Probably not it seems, as understanding Bytes, Hex, Binary, bit shifting etc etc is a necesseity.

But thanks for listening.

Regards

We have emulated the command and can have the machine sit here number crunching and have obtained about 200,000 codes.

However, to get a reasonable percentage would take about 10 years.
    What sort of machine are you running this on? A 32-bit keyspace (4294967296 in total) is considered absolutely trivial to search today, in the age of relatively inexpensive CPUs that can perform several billion operations per second. Storing all those challenges and responses would take all of 32GB, which is again a trivial matter today.

Or, is your keysearch algorithm simply inefficient and doing less work per clock than it could?

Edit: Upon staring at those example challenges and responses you posted, I have noticed somehow they seem like they were generated by an LFSR (linear feedback shift register). I can't really describe it, but I've worked with LFSRs in the past and the output bitstreams had a specific "texture" to them which I seem to be detecting here.
    Last edited by LLXX; January 11th, 2007 at 04:37.

nobber
    Yes, that is correct.

The problem is getting all of them.

It takes 1 second to get a code, so multiply the number and see how many days and years that will take, its a long time.

friedo
    Whats about reverse engineering of the ECU?!

Thatīs what people normally do and thatīs the reason why some professional equipment is real expensive because it takes hours to reverse such embedded things!

Business is not only to receive "free codes" and sell them but sometimes it need some brain and more development....

nobber
    Hi

Yes correct.

We are experts in vehicle diagnostics.

Thats why we have hit a wall.

We are not looking for a free ride.

We are looking for a company/person who may be able to reverse the ECU or whatever will be required.

I just do not know anyone who can offer this service as a contract, hence the post.

Not looking for a free codes, just some direction of where we may get a contractor or someone who is capable of doing this type of work.

Its not your everyday project.

Thanks

Greg

Naides is Nobody

Probably not it seems, as understanding Bytes, Hex, Binary, bit shifting etc etc is a necesseity.

But thanks for listening.

Regards
    Offense taken here, young man.

I was giving a sincere effort to understand the problem, trying to make heads and tails of your rather abstruse request.

And no, it was not because I was interested in doing a side job for money.

For your information I, and very many members of this board know a fucking lot about Bytes, Hex, binary, shift, ROL, ROR, cryptography than you would ever dream.

The crux of the problem is your poor communication skills, NOT our ignorance, as you suggested.

nobber
    I did not mean to offend. So sorry.

You asked the question what was 4 bytes ?

I assumed you did not know what a byte was.

So, if you did not know what a byte was, how was I supposed to explain myself to you.

That was my point. Sorry.

You do seem to understand the problem we have, 2 to the power of 32 is a hell of a lot of codes, and for us to get those will take an eon.

So reverse engineering the machine code in the processor is probably the only way of doing this.

But, we have no idea how to do that, or where to start, so I am looking for a pointer, a person who understand that type of engineering, a company who may help.

Not trying to be clever or mislead you, just looking for something more than we have now.

Thanks

Greg