Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: EDB Linux Debugger 0.8.0 Release :)

Smile EDB Linux Debugger 0.8.0 Release :)

Ok, released slightly later than I had hoped, but here is a pre-1.0 version I thought was release worthy, I hope you all enjoy!

http://www.codef00.com/projects.php#Debugger
    Last edited by proxy; November 9th, 2006 at 22:25.

Thanks

Hi,

I was waiting for it since I had seen some screenshot on your site.

Thanks for sharing.

akimp3

Thanks for sharing it with our members.

Regards,
    JMI

yosh64
    hey

Yays, it's finally here! ^_^

Thanks proxy, I'm really looking forward to getting back into cracking ^_^. Now it's time to download and check it out.

cyas
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

yosh64
    hey

I wanted to make a new post to inform you of this, so I hope yas don't mind.

Well, I'm not sure if this is a bug or what... but when I close/exit debugger, it also closes xorg or whatever? which I think is quite a pain :\.

Otherwise, it seems pretty cool .

cyas
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

it closes down ALL of X? that is very odd, can you provide any details of your setup or any crash data (check your /var/log/ directory for a log of X).

Also, does it happen if you just open and then close (without doing any debugging work)?

Finally, are you using 0.8.2? it's the latest on my site, it shouldn't make a difference, but just trying to think of anything that would be a factor.

You may want to "make distclean" and rebuild as well, perhaps mismatched libs during linking?

It definitely should not be "closing" X at all.

proxy
    Last edited by proxy; November 13th, 2006 at 00:47.

I just posted a bugfix release to address a deadlock on detach. Now it will only wait on the event thread to die for no more than 1 second.

proxy

yosh64
    hey

I use http://www.archlinux.org, I started with just the base package ^_^. Hmm, I think alot of my non base packages would be out of date, as it takes a while for me to download latest packages on my slow dialup internet connection.

I am using xorg 11R7.0, and qt 4.2.1, which seem to be the latest for archlinux.

Quote Originally Posted by this is what caught my eye, that is displayed in the terminal after exit
    waiting for X server to shut down X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
    It's slightly different than the usual...

Quote Originally Posted by these lines are added to xorg log after closing debugger
    (II) 3rd Button detected: disabling emulate3Button
    (II) fglrx(0): [drm] removed 1 reserved context for kernel
    (II) fglrx(0): [drm] unmapping 8192 bytes of SAREA 0x2c000 at 0xb7720000
    FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/share/fonts/misc" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing.
    Quote Originally Posted by this also caught my eye in the xorg log
    (EE) AIGLX error: dlsym for __driCreateNewScreen_20050727 failed (/usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/atiogl_a_dri.so: undefined symbol: __driCreateNewScreen_20050727)
    (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
    I'm not sure if this was added before or after debugger is launched. If you like, I could paste a section of my xorg log somewhere?
    ---

Ohh, I also have a few requests of what I think are quite handy/essential features for me, and maybe others? I hope you don't mind?
    *instruction/line highlighting in cpu instruction/disassembly view
    *ability to goto a specified address, and change memory region in cpu instruction/disassembly view
    *ability to modify/edit anything in the data dump view
    *ability to modify/edit an instruction in the cpu instruction/disassembly view <- but not essential

cyas
    Last edited by yosh64; November 13th, 2006 at 02:26.

hrmm, well just out of curiosity, does it happen with AIGLX disabled? I have toyed with beryl and all that on my laptop without crashes, but it would be interesting to find out if this was somehow the culprit.

Ohh, I also have a few requests of what I think are quite handy/essential features for me, and maybe others? I hope you don't mind?
    *instruction/line highlighting in cpu instruction/disassembly view
    *ability to goto a specified address, and change memory region in cpu instruction/disassembly view
    *ability to modify/edit anything in the data dump view
    *ability to modify/edit an instruction in the cpu instruction/disassembly view <- but not essential
    Of course I don't mind, i put this on this forums so I can get ideas for new features

* for first thing, i am planning on adding a green arrow to the disassembly view to indicate the current instruction (at the moment it just scrolls to EIP)

* I have the ability to jump just about anywhere in the disassembly just about done, BTW i hope you know you can change any register simply by double clicking it (including eip unlike ollydbg)

* Yea, modifying data is in my "wishlist" of things to do big time. I am hopeing to figure out some clever way to leverage AS or NASM to create an assembler module which will covert a single instruction into an array of assembled bytes (so i don't have to write one).

yosh64
    hey

I just tried disabling AIGLX, but it still occurs :\. I actually learnt that ya meant to disable AIGLX, if you have an ATI Radeon, and using Kernel 2.6, well for ArchLinux anyhows. So I no longer get them AIGLX errors .

Hmm, maybe I should paste the end of my xorg.log? Well, nothing else at the end of it looks suspicious to me though :\. Ohh, I also just found that nothing is added to my xorg log after I launch debugger. Another thing, I think that them lines added to the xorg log, after closing debugger are the same as when you close the xorg server down properly.

Anyhows, I'm gonna start going through all the packages QT depends on, and update them for now.

cya
    Last edited by yosh64; November 13th, 2006 at 08:53.

yosh64
    hey

Well, the problem still occurs after updating all the packages QT depends on :\.

cyas

I have just uploaded 0.8.4 which addressing some issues people have found, please give it a try (BTW download size cut by 75% for anyone on a slow connection ).

yosh64: what exactly are you doing when it kills X? closing the debugger? does it happen if you don't attach or debug any processes? Any more details would be great.

thanks
    proxy

yosh64
    hey

Ohh, it still occurs when doing nothing but opening and closing right away. BTW, I was using 0.8.2. Anyhows I will compile and try 0.8.4, and if it works I'll edit this post .

Edit, the problem still occurs :\.

Another Edit, I just noticed when launching debugger from a terminal, the message "QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_action_Kill_triggered()" appears. Hmm, is this any indication of the problem? I think I might google this.

cyas
    Last edited by yosh64; November 17th, 2006 at 21:49.

No, unfortunately, that isn't related to the problem, that just means that I named a function in a way that the QT system will attempt to auto-connect it to a signal on start.

Since I haven't added a kill process menu item yet, it says it couldn't do it.

This problem is really bizarre, is there any chance that it is simply a QT4 problem on your system? I mean people have reported various minor quirks, but noone has mentioned anything about "X crashing" at all to me.

proxy

yosh64
    hey

I just done a little googling, and found a few things.

It may be due to icewm, the window manager I use, see here (http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-qt-kde@lists.debian.org/msg16730.html). Although I did find something else (http://lists.trolltech.com/qt4-preview-feedback/2005-04/msg00837.html), so maybe I just need wait for a newer version or something.

Finally, the Opera web browser works fine, but I don't think it would use any QT4 specific functions.

cyas