Thread: How to debug temporary threads with Ollydbg ?

MrSmith

How to debug temporary threads with Ollydbg ?

Hi everybody,

yesterday I was debugging a program that used threads in a tricky way to display an annoying MsgBox. I only solved the problem by pure luck and I wondered if there are better ways in Ollydbg to do this.

It seems the program is periodically (every few seconds) starting a thread that checks if everything is fine (license wise) and if not sends a message to the main thread via PostMessageA. After this the thread exits.
    Once the main thread receives the message it displays the message box and exits. If I set a bp on MessageBoxA I land in the main thread and find the location where the MsgBox is created, but I can' t find the test that triggers the MsgBox.
    I looked in the Call stack window and by pure luck I found the thread that does the PostMessageA in the list of other existing threads. I said by pure luck because I could never repeat this. In all my other tries the PostMessageA thread didn't exist! I think this is so because this thread exists only for a fraction of a second (while it does the test) and then terminates.

So the question is:
    How can I locate the testing thread given the situation described above ?

Cheers,

MrSmith
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

uhm, you said it youself, its launching a thread right...
    bpx CreateThread ?

you could also go under Options menu -> Debugging options -> Events tab -> check "Break on new thread"

Actually I'd conditional break on PostMessageA with the right message. That should break inside the thread you're looking for.

MrSmith
    Hi goggles99

> you could also go under Options menu ->
    >Debugging options -> Events tab -> check
    >"Break on new thread"

that's a neat trick. Didn't see that option.

Cheers,

MrSmith
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.