Thread: A few general debugging questions

murph

A few general debugging questions

I have two questions.

(1) I've scoured the documentation for a while, and it seems to me that there is no way to automatically execute a small set of instructions whenever a MEMORY ACCESS breakpoint is hit, as you can do with the conditional logging breakpoints that always break on a particular address. (This seems evident to me from the fact that setting these instructions-to-be-executed-upon-hit involves setting a NM_PLUGINCMD string that is firmly tied to a particular address.) Am I correct?

(2) Is there a way to tell, when back-tracing a program, that when we break on a certain instruction, that we have in fact jumped to that instruction as opposed to simply stepping to it from the immediately previous instruction? Like a flag in a register somewhere, some "fingerprint" that tells us we have taken a jump to this instruction?
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

murph

Okay, I think (1) is probably correct and there's no way around it. As for (2), I found something called "run trace" in the documentation that might be able to solve the problem... only problem is, I don't seem how to set up the run trace to begin with. The documentation lists a number of options you can set, but in the ollydbg user interface, I don't see any way to set them. I must be missing a particular menu or something. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

Lord_Looser

debug - set condition (ctrl-t)
    view - run trace
    right mouse click at selected cpu command - run trace - ...

murph

Thank you Lord_Looser. With your help, I was able to get the run trace working.