Thread: Plugin idea, need comments

psyCK0

Plugin idea, need comments

Hey all,
    Well, an hour ago I sat and played with SIce and found an interesting feature - when you stop at a breakpoint it shows you where you came from (previous EIP). So I did a quick search on Google and found some info on module specific registers (MSRs) that are available in kernel mode and that allow you to get this info (among other). So I was thinking it would be pretty neat to implement this feature in a plugin for Olly. My idea is writing a kernel-mode driver that the plugin can communicate with. What do you think? Is there some other nifty way of doing it or will I for once have to use SIce for its intended purpose - debugging kernel-mode drivers that I myself have built? I know all this sounds vague, but thats because I have absolutely zero experience with ring0 stuff... So I really need some comments from more knowledgeable people (you there focht? =) ).
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

kotzeesser

Plugin idea, need comments

some days ago, i wrote an olly plugin, which simulates the BPLOAD feature of SIce (breaking on module load, its usefull for service debugging)

it consists of a very simple ring0driver, which registeres an image load callback and a usermode dll, which is the plugin.

it could show you, how to write a simple driver and how to communicate from usermode with it

let me know, if you are interested
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.