Thread: Unable to Attach to Process

Anonymous

Unable to Attach to Process

I'm getting this Olly error when I try to attach to a running process. How does this process keep from being looked at ? Is there a way around this ?
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

Anonymous

It's probably protected by Armadillo and the like with the "Debug blocker" option set. There's no real way around it as the process itself is already being "debugged" by it's master process, so Ollydbg can't step in and even sniff it, nevermind debug it.

However, you can debug it's master process, and force the master to stop debugging it, place the child into an infinite loop and allow ollydbg to connect to it.
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

Anonymous

So if you run an Armadillo-protected exe that has the 'Debug blocker' option set, you'll actually have TWO executables running???

Anonymous

This Armadillo app runs and yes, there are 2 apps running. 1 app specifically for the registration window and the main executable. The app for the reg entry is the one that will not allow attachment. How do you setup the master process to stop debugging it ?

Anonymous

Yes, all kinds of debug blocker actually have two executables running.

Anonymous

Is there a "good" PE examiner that is recommended to tell you what packer was used on a particular target ?

Anonymous

yes

Anonymous

Which PE examiner would you recommend ?

Anonymous

peid 0.9

Anonymous

Will peid 0.9 work on dll files as well ?

Anonymous

yes

Anonymous

Are there any good tuts for unpacking and restructuring an Armadillo v2.5-v2.6 target ?