Thread: Unable to read memory of debugged program

Unable to read memory of debugged program

Hello,

while debugging a program I recently downloaded I'm getting a "Unable to read memory of debugged program" error message on almost all commands available. Anyone have an idea on how this is accomplished?

Regards,
    yaa

Hello,

if anyone wants to take a look at the program that is determining this behavior, this is Visual Prolog 6.1 and it can be downloaded from www.simtel.net/product.download.mirrors.php?id=60705.

Regards,
    yaa

Anonymous

If this is not your own program, then it's almost certainly because you trying to "crack" the program, which is not permitted to be talked about on this site.
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

Hello,

I'm not trying to crack anything, the product is a freeware for personal use, so there is really no reason why one should crack it. I develop software myself and often debug programs to "take a look" at how others accomplish certain results expecially what apis are called and passing what parameters.

Regards,
    yaa

Anonymous

Hi,
    I have the same probs, but in this time its a crackme RECCXi (http://picasso.poupe.net/?p=recc).
    Can anybody help me?
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

Anonymous

Look up VirtualProtectEx?

Anonymous

I get the same error when trying to set a breakpoint on a WM message. I would like to be able to break when WM_COMMAND is sent to the application. In the OllyDbg help it explains how to do this but when I set the breakpoint this error appears.

Thanks,
    Alex

Ok, it seems that VirtualProtectEx could explain the behaviour we are seeing ... I'd guess that called with a PAGE_EXECUTE would probably be the right choice.

In fact it would be nice to develop a tool that could "query" another process' virtual memory space and "draw" a map of that memory allowing to eventually change the setting of memory pages ...

Does such a tool already exist?

yaa