Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: From newbie to guru crackme

book

Possible spoiler

Hey there. This post contains a few details about the crackem. That's ok right?

Firstly: I got through the first weak protection section, and dumped the file. Would it have been to my advantage to have understood anything which was going on up to that point, such as the decryption method used? I basically just followed through without really understanding that much of it. Realistically, is that going to work very often? Obviously the bit I have got through is the extreme newbie one.

Secondly: While I was doing this it appeared that the crackme piggybacks part of something called wbsys.dll for some of its api calls. wtf is with that?
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

Have fun working on this but I believe if you read prior posts, the general consensus is that this crackme is incomplete and the last part is up to you to code, fake, fool, whatever - not a good example of a crackme.

IMHO

SiGiNT
    Unemployed old fart Geek - Self Employed Annoyance
    Team: Noobisco Crackers
    If someone can't do it for you, you'll never learn!

Quote Originally Posted by book
    Firstly: I got through the first weak protection section, and dumped the file. Would it have been to my advantage to have understood anything which was going on up to that point, such as the decryption method used? I basically just followed through without really understanding that much of it. Realistically, is that going to work very often? Obviously the bit I have got through is the extreme newbie one.
    Decryption method? You mean the packer? That's just UPX... no, you don't need to understand how the packer works besides knowing how to get to OEP and how to dump it.
    Quote Originally Posted by book
    Secondly: While I was doing this it appeared that the crackme piggybacks part of something called wbsys.dll for some of its api calls. wtf is with that?
    That is just the hook DLL for WindowBlinds. Disable it if you don't want the API calls to go through there.