Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Previous Solution didn't work

Blog Entries
    Hey Ricardo,

It's not that at all. You are very correct a good reverser uses all the tools at his disposal for what is needed, and every good reverser is fully aware of that. Quite simply, Softice is 'necessary' for ring0 debugging, and OllyDbg is 'excellent' for ring3. No one here is judging the abilities of those who use either, each has it's purpose.

There is no ugliness here in joking about the debugger you prefer, it is, or should be, good natured fun, like cheering for your own sports team.

Regards,
    Kayaker

<script>alert(0)</script> disavowed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker
    Softice is 'necessary' for ring0 debugging, and OllyDbg is 'excellent' for ring3.
    ... as long as we can all agree that gdb sucks

Master Of Nebulah Frost Polaris's Avatar
    Stand In The Fog With So Cold A Heart... Watching The Death Of The Sun...

i speak spanish,and the touchs of sense of humor, only i undertsand in spanish, barely speak english for understand the difference betwenn more comentary SOFTICE vs OLLY (i have very plenty of this crap) or a irony sorry

Ricardo

M4yH3M3d
    Woohoo and I thought watching ultimate fighting was entertaining but, I have been thoroughly(<-still waking up from my crakin session yesterday) entertained the last 20 mins reading this thread. I think the people who get SI to work correctly for them know For a Fact it is a much better tool then even Ida let alone olydbg. SI also has its own debugger so you dont really need to use the others (not to say that i dont because I still like to - my t's and ' my (.) (.)'s) which saves on the resource drain and possible meltdown of using SI.

I guess I should read the Faq's to make sure when I have a question I am not trying to pull excaliber out of the stone without having the right to see if I can.

Anyway this is an old argument I can tell you from experience that I find it easier to work with a few tools as possible because I dont want to have to worry about locking up and losing all my info because i didnt have enough resources left to finish the job. So I would say 80% of the stuff I do I use SI exclusively and the other tools randomly but I am not as advanced and have never really tried to crack a commercial software (well i did but there was a tut on it so that really doesnt count) I stick more or less to modifying game code and breaking into other peoples work so i dont have to use their mod or pay them for violating a eula. If Compuware actually supported the product I would more then likely buy it but I seem to get most of my technical support from sites like this so they arent getting my $$.
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker
    You are very correct a good reverser uses all the tools at his disposal for what is needed

Kayaker
    This I can agree with! I got flamed on another forum for using VBReformer (a "kiddie script") instead of wading through wd32asm's interperatation of a VB6 app. I'll use anything that makes my job easier!

SiGiNT
    Unemployed old fart Geek - Self Employed Annoyance
    Team: Noobisco Crackers
    If someone can't do it for you, you'll never learn!

Master Of Nebulah Frost Polaris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sigint33
    This I can agree with! I got flamed on another forum for using VBReformer (a "kiddie script") instead of wading through wd32asm's interperatation of a VB6 app. I'll use anything that makes my job easier!

SiGiNT
    Ehmmm... Why you got flamed? To me, it seems a very good approach...
    Stand In The Fog With So Cold A Heart... Watching The Death Of The Sun...

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by revoltX
    Didn't know one has to post more than one threat to be allowed to ask why a solution given by another member (which is definitely valuable!) doesn't work!
    Posting threats will get you exactly nowhere. Go to George "Dubbelj00" (and his) Bush(whackers) for such. You may want to try creating constructive threads as an alternative, though and you may receive helpful suggestions here.
    Double the killers!

M4yH3M3d

SiGiNT

Anyone that flames another person for trying to save time during the reversing process must either be well off financially or a glutten for punishment. I look at this stuff as a challenge but parts of it have to be fun or it just isnt worth it. I could understand doing things the long way a few times to understand the "why" but after you know the "why" by all means use whatever saves you time and mental anguish. When I take on a task of this nature I always ask myself "Is it worth the effort to find out?" If certain tools did not exist to make this process easier I know I there wouldnt be a "yes" after the above question too often.
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by M4yH3M3d
    my t's and ' my (.) (.)'s
    Wow, you got b00bs?

SCNR
    Last edited by laola; October 26th, 2005 at 12:23.
    Double the killers!

Cool

I got flamed on another forum for using VBReformer (a "kiddie script") instead of wading through wd32asm's interperatation of a VB6 app.
    Please tell me the name of the board so I can add it to my URL filter

I can't believe it... Evangelists all around. Promoting the one-and-only holy grail of reversing or whatever. *sigh*

Your attitude ("I'll use anything that makes my job easier") is very much seconded here
    Double the killers!

M4yH3M3d
    Quote Originally Posted by laola
    Wow, you got b00bs?
    (@).(@) that better? They were supposed to be eyes. I guess I should have just typed it out but I was being lazy and cute and no I dont have boob's nor man breasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Narvaja
    i speak spanish,and the touchs of sense of humor, only i undertsand in spanish, barely speak english for understand the difference betwenn more comentary SOFTICE vs OLLY (i have very plenty of this crap) or a irony sorryRicardo
    Don't worry brother, I thought something was lost in the translation. When we reverse, we all speak the same language...Assembler...or Machine language.

Using the translator at: h**p://w*w.worldlingo.com/wl/translate, that would be:

No se preocupe a hermano, Pensé que algo fue perdido en la traducción. Cuando invertimos, todos hablamos la misma lengua...Ensamblador...o terminología de la informática.

Let me know how it translated.
    Last edited by WaxfordSqueers; October 26th, 2005 at 18:26.

SiGiNT
    don't forget good old Smartcheck for VB apps. In case you don't know, it's the counterpart of Boundschecker, built by NuMega especialy for VB apps. I used it once to very effectively locate and decipher code being used in a mathematical algorithm in a VB app.

Quote Originally Posted by M4yH3M3d
    I guess I should read the Faq's to make sure when I have a question I am not trying to pull excaliber out of the stone without having the right to see if I can.
    I didn't know Excalibur was stoned.