Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Previous Solution didn't work

revoltX

Previous Solution didn't work

Hi folks,
    the previous solution on softice didn't work. I'm usin driverstudio, but when i simply do a bpx getdlgitemtexta si doesn't break. Any new solutions?
    regards revoltX
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

Blog Entries
    Which is the previous solution?

revoltX
    http://woodmann.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7291
    the one about softice under xp
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

Master Of Nebulah Frost Polaris's Avatar
    This is really great! A person with a post count of 1 that is complaining about non working previous stuff... Probably he means that the solution comes from a previous life
    Stand In The Fog With So Cold A Heart... Watching The Death Of The Sun...

I think the only reasonable thing would be for revoltX to commit seppuku for writing such an awful and uninformative question.

Regards,
    JMI

Naides is Nobody
    possible solution:

Start by installing ollydbg.
    rung your app under it and put a bp in getdlgitemtexta,
    see if olly breaks. . .

revoltX
    thx naides for the only valuable post
    i already tried with olly, what worked! So, i thought in this foum one might be allowed to ask a question, even though it's the first post.
    Didn't know one has to post more than one threat to be allowed to ask why a solution given by another member (which is definitely valuable!) doesn't work!
    Thx again naides

<script>alert(0)</script> disavowed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by revoltX
    Didn't know one has to post more than one threat to be allowed to ask why a solution given by another member (which is definitely valuable!) doesn't work!
    It is clearly stated in the FAQ in section 10, line 3: "One has to post more than one threat to be allowed to ask why a solution given by another member doesn't work." In the future, please read the FAQ before posting.

GEEZ - this thread is more fun than my hard-drive crash last friday.

SiGiNT

(Explains why I haven't been littering the board with useless trivia!)
    Unemployed old fart Geek - Self Employed Annoyance
    Team: Noobisco Crackers
    If someone can't do it for you, you'll never learn!

Naides is Nobody
    Question 2:
    If olly works, why do you need SofIce version 4.32?

I know Sice do more than Olly, by why do it with ice if olly will do, I do think it does, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by revoltX
    thx naides for the only valuable post
    i already tried with olly, what worked! So, i thought in this foum one might be allowed to ask a question, even though it's the first post.
    somewhere in the FAQ, in really small type, it also says you have to have a good sense of humour and a thick skin.

Can you expand on what you were doing with getdlgitemtexta? Did you set the bpx from within the app you are debugging and is user32.dll loaded as an export? For example, if you type 'exp getdlgitemtexta' at the prompt in softice, does it return an address in user32? If not, then the export is not loaded.

Also, is your app maybe using SEH tricks to unhook your BPX before getdlgitemtext is called? Since softice is the big kahoona of debuggers, it's quite possible your app is aimed at defeating ice and hasn't bothered with Ollydebug.

I had that problem while debugging an Asprotected app. There was a minefield of SEH's that had to be manually negotiated before I could set my BPX's. If it's the case that your app has targeted Ice and not Olly, then it might be smarter to use Olly in that case. But you'll learn a hell of a lot more trying to negotiate the SEH's.

My approach, which is somewhat kamikaze, is to single step into an app from the code entry point. Sometimes I even start in the OS before it loads my app. That way, you get an idea of where the problems start and how the protection is implemented. Of course, my modus operandi is excitement and defeating protections. If you just want to fish a serial, that might not interest you.
    Last edited by WaxfordSqueers; October 25th, 2005 at 18:21.

Quote Originally Posted by naides
    possible solution:
    Start by installing ollydbg.
    rung your app under it and put a bp in getdlgitemtexta,
    see if olly breaks. . .
    Could you guys in the softice-challenged, Ollydebug peanut gallery please keep it down. There are some serious reversers (aka softice users) here trying to concentrate.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WaxfordSqueers
    Could you guys in the softice-challenged, Ollydebug peanut gallery please keep it down. There are some serious reversers (aka softice users) here trying to concentrate.
    LMAO

Softice user= serious reverser hmmmmmm

serious reverser use any tool, and make the work with the existente posibilities in each moment, serious reversers donīt work with one only program and one only machine and one only posibility, the life have infinite posibilities and a serious reversers try ALL.

Ricardo Narvaja
    PD:i go to a internet shop with machines (not mine) and try installing and cracking with softice, hmm if you never use olly you are not listen for this circunstance of cracking in other machine than yours (remember with only a diskette you have olly with you in every computer of the world you can use)
    Iīm tired of the ugly discussion genious with softice, newbies with OLLY, can be made good work in any tool, the tool is not important, the brain is important use plis ans stop with this.
    And i donīt see good tutorials with softice till long time ago (the genious are sleeping?)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Narvaja
    Softice user= serious reverser hmmmmmm
    serious reverser use any tool, and make the work with the existente posibilities in each moment, serious reversers donīt work with one only program and one only machine and one only posibility, the life have infinite posibilities and a serious reversers try ALL.
    you need to develop a sense of humour, Ricardo, you're way too tense.

We have a term in English called "talking with tongue in cheek". Maybe it doesn't translate to other languages and cultures. I really couldn't give a rat's ass what anyone uses for reversing. I usually use a dead-listing first from IDA then apply it to a hex editor if it's obvious. Of course, with all the packed apps out there I have to unpack them first.
    Last edited by WaxfordSqueers; October 25th, 2005 at 20:40.