Thread: What is SoftICE?

spyrat

What is SoftICE?

What is that??
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

its a debugger, are you sure you're in the right forum?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Results 1 - 10 of about 150,000 for what is softice. (0.16 seconds)

Web definitions for SoftICE
    SoftICE is a kernel mode debugger for Microsoft Windows. Older versions exist for DOS and compatible operating systems. SoftICE was originally produced by a company called NuMega, and was subsequently acquired by Compuware.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoftICE - Definition in context
    you should probably find some deepcave deep down below in the bowels of earth before jmi happens to find you 1500000 hits are a little bit too much

son of Bungo & Belladonna bilbo's Avatar
    Who said it is a debugger???

SOFTICE is a research project conducted on behalf of the European Commission (DG VII), in the 4th Research and Development Framework Program (Road Transport Research, task 7.1/5). The project started in January 1998 and will be completed by March 1999. The project consortium is composed of 7 partners coming from different countries within EU and Switzerland.
    from http://alfa.ist.utl.pt/~cesur/softice/

Regards, bilbo
    Non quia difficilia sunt, non audemus, sed quia non audemus, difficilia sunt.[Seneca, Epistulae Morales 104, 26]

There are no caves so deep that I couldn't find such a person, but adventures in deep undergroung caves are really the speciality of Master Bilbo, if you've read 'There and Back Again."

Regards,
    JMI

Software-based Intrusion Countermeasure Electronics. U will need it to protect your brain from getting pwn3ed by script kiddies and the like.

... and I always thought it was a software-based in circuit emulator. Silly me

... and I always thought it was a software-based in circuit emulator. Silly me
    ...and you were right. The Softice debugger's name really came from Software in circuit emulator.

+Fravia calls SoftICE [...] the "Alpha and the Omega" of debuggers. However, what all modern reverse engineers are too young to remember (unless your hair is as grey as that of the authors) is that the forefather of SoftICE itself, known as ICE-86, was actually a hardware-based, in-circuit emulator from Intel designed to debug their seminal 8086 processor. A full description of this hardware can be found in the classic 8086 Family User's Manual published by Intel in 1979.
    source : http://www.informit.com/guides/content.asp?g=security&seqNum=18

unless your hair is as grey
    Hmmm, maybe some gray hair reversers here can confirm
    Last edited by Neitsa; June 10th, 2005 at 04:02.
    Omne tulit punctum qui miscuit utile dulci

Indeed, "In-Circuit Emulator" is another meaning, albeit an archaic one... possibly from the times before rogue AIs became the bane of cyberspace, when the Boston-Atlanta Metropolitan Axis was still separate cities...