Thread: Question about IDA

doco

Question about IDA

Hi,
    just a little question:
    If i want to use IDA, would it be better to get a (pirated) uptodate version , i think 4.7 or so, or would the free 4.3 version be enough for doing "some" ?
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

Depends entirely upon your operating system and what you want to do with it.

There a number of Threads here about problems associated with the use of various versions of Softice and WinXP SP2. You should use the SEARCH function here, as you were instructed to do in the FAQ, to look for information about Softice and the various versions.

That's why that statement appears under your signature.

Regards,
    JMI

doco
    Yes, but.....
    are IDA and SoftIce the same ?
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

Ups. Sorry. Reading too many threads at the same time and crossed those references from IDA to Softice.

Parts of the answer is still correct. Some versions of IDA are discussed here. For example you could do a search for "problems + IDA" (without the quotes) and find some discussion of IDA 4.3. I found 43 Threads you may review.

Part of the issue is still what you want to do with the program. If you are trying to use some special processor, you might need the more advanced features of the newer version. If you are starting out and have no familarity with the program, I would recommend you start with the free version, because it takes some getting use to to learn how the program works. For that "reading the manual" is always a good place to start.

Regards,
    JMI

doco
    ok, thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by doco
    Hi,
    just a little question:
    If i want to use IDA, would it be better to get a (pirated) uptodate version , i think 4.7 or so, or would the free 4.3 version be enough for doing "some" ?
    If you are newbie IDA Freeware is all you need to start reversing on Intel platform under windows.

http://quasar.prv.pl/idafw.html -> import library for IDA Freeware 4.3

doco
    If you are newbie IDA Freeware is all you need to start reversing on Intel platform under windows.
    Thank you so much, that is exactly the info i needed

As Above

Why don't you download and install both?

When you need the debugger (and its GOOD for tracing Function Calls only) you can use the IDA 4.7 (warezed)

WHen you need the flow chart analysis for PART of your code, then you can use IDA freeware. The PART flowchart for 4.7 is broken.

Better, get IDA 4.6 from the net (Warezed again) and enjoy both debugging AND PART flowcharts.

Get them all.

Have Phun
    Blame Microsoft, get l337 !!

doco
    Yeah thanks, Aimless, but i currently try to reduce my warez as much as i can. Lets see how much i can achieve with just Freeware/ Open Source...