Thread: tool for searching strings

figugegl

tool for searching strings

after reading the ollydbg-hide-thread...

some time ago i coded this little tool which might be useful for some of you.

"This little tool shows all ASCII and UNICODE strings in a file. You can edit, copy, paste, sort, search and much more. ..."

please read the included readme.txt for more information.

cheers
    figugegl

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

Thanks for sharing your efforts.

Regards,
    JMI

tommy2guns
    I'll chime in with a thanks as well. Been using "bintext" but your tool is far superior.

T
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

smarter
    Thanks for your product and code,I'll study it!

Jacques
    Great little tool, thanks figugegl!

Jacques

figugegl

well, let me tell you first that the effort is great. thanks for the tool. also the coding style is nice. so now I'd like to say about the things I didn't like.

1. You are not using MMF.
    This:

iFileSize = (unsigned long long) GetFileSize (hFile, NULL);
    pszFileBuffer = (char *) malloc (iFileSize);

cannot be considered as a good strategy. Honestly, use MMF.

2. Your searching algo is a very simple one. Consider using something more sophisticated, such as Boeyr-Moor search. I suggest you reading D. Knuth's book or a Sedgewik's one.

As for the rest - thanks again.

figugegl
    @all
    thank you for your roses and suggestions. i know i'm not much of a coder. as i don't do much reversing/coding these days anymore i only wanted to share one of my private tools with you guys.

@volodya
    1) i was thinking of mmf as well initially, but can't remember why i dropped the idea.

2) afaik boyer-moore is for searching a known string in another. but here i'm searching for ANY possible string. or do you refer to the "strings-search"-menu only? then you're rigth of course!

i don't think i will ever update showstring, i'm way too busy with "real" projects. yepp, life's finally taking over - but here's the code. maybe some of you is going to improve the tool. or how about a mini-coding-project?

Thanks to figugegl!

i got a your tool.
    i think that your tool is very nice
    speake again, thanks figugegl!
    i wish fot your good health~~~~
    bye

it is like ida 's string tool .
    Last edited by jb1968; January 15th, 2005 at 11:06.

i had a quick look on it but i believe bintext is similar to this one and has more options... thanks anyway

tDJ

Lightbulb

Thanks for sharing this helpfull tool.

But there's a small prob. W/o ShowString.ini it default shows ascii and unicode stringtypes, which is good. But it doesn't store it in the ShowString.ini. So if you restart the prog it doesn't show the unicode stringtypes. And it doesn't neither if you change this in Strings - Options. To change this to default in ShowString.ini, than you have to edit it and add Type=3 in the [File] section.