Thread: Intercepting messages in softice

BobTheRock

Intercepting messages in softice

Hello,
    I was wondering what type of debugging capabilities softice provides for intercepting UI messages. Does one have to for example go to a window procedure and place conditional brakepoints there looking for the wanted messages or does it provide easier methods of trapping such messages? Thanks.

Regards,
    BobTheRock
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

4oh4
    Kayaker gave a good answer to this in another thread here (http://usa3.hostrack.net/woodmann/Ultraboard/Public/HTML/B8/2115-1.topic.html).
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

4oh4
    Kayaker gave a good answer to this in another thread here (http://usa3.hostrack.net/woodmann/Ultraboard/Public/HTML/B8/2115-1.topic.html).

bob
    Hello,
    what does bmsg <hwnd> wm_command mean? You simply type it in without having to get to the address of the window procedure???? I'm asking because I'm trying to decide if to adopt softice (I never used it) as my standard debugger understanding what it provides compared to the others.

Regards,
    BobTheRock

latigo
    The command pretty much speaks for itself
    bmsg hwnd WM_MESSAGE means that Sice will break whenever the window represented by hwnd processes the WM_MESSAGE.
    And do adopt Softice as your 'standard' debugger for its the best
    Bye

Latigo

BobTheRock
    Hello,
    what I was curious about is if you can just type in the said command (and softice does the rest, finding the window procedure associated to the specified window) or you have to go to the window procedure to set such a breakpoint.

Regards,
    Bob Rock

4oh4
    Heya latigo

Bob, type "hwnd stuff" (where stuff is stuff.exe, the application you're debugging) at the sice prompt. Then look through all the handles for the main handle (check the class name). Then use that handle that you've found with "bmsg 0D0 wm_command" (assuming that "0d0" is your handle).

Or alternately use a spying utility like Windowse to obtain the handle of the window in question.

Regards,
    Clandestiny