Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how to decrypt *.rar file ?

Don't you just delete the ".rar" file?

Regards,
    JMI

qww
    it's true
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

qww:

What the heck are you doing??? This is the second thread you have just posted: "It's ture" in which appears to have NOTHING to do with the Thread.

Regards,
    JMI

Blog Entries
    I thought just the same... Maybe he's trying to climb the ranks quickly by being the ultimate yes-man or something.

Anyway, here's something for you to agree with qww: If you keep doing it you will be banned, ok?

That IS true.

Regards,
    JMI

Fatty[NegX]
    There are two most popular RAR PW crackers that I know of, Advanced RAR Password recovery and Passware password recovery suite, which recovers passwords for many types of files. As for RAR the only method for 3.x archives IS brute force, unless you have some of the files that are in the archive. Having some of the files in the archive helps because the program knows that the decrypted result is, and can determine the password from comparing the encrypted with the decrypted, figuring out what algo is used. (I Know this cause I had to use it once)
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

And "Why" did you feel compelled to share the obvious with us two months after the last post in this thread?

Regards,
    JMI

adi
    I have an encrypted archive and some files contained in it, but I don't know the password. How could I crack the encryption?

Use one of the tools mentioned in Fatty's post two posts above yours (you clearly only read the second half of it).

adi
    Quote Originally Posted by arc_ View Post
    Use one of the tools mentioned in Fatty's post two posts above yours (you clearly only read the second half of it).
    I have already used Advanced RAR Password recovery and Passware...and other brute force software...but unsuccesfully
    So, I am interested in using the fact that I have some files which are encrypted in the archive in order to crack it.

Even with known files you will probably have a hard time recovering a password, especially if it is long and/or not a dictionary word. AES is not some toy encryption... If the password is pretty strong and you're just using your home PC, you can keep on bruteforcing until our sun dies, so to speak . And that's a good thing, otherwise there wouldn't be much point in encrypting an archive at all.

adi
    Quote Originally Posted by arc_ View Post
    Even with known files you will probably have a hard time recovering a password, especially if it is long and/or not a dictionary word. AES is not some toy encryption... If the password is pretty strong and you're just using your home PC, you can keep on bruteforcing until our sun dies, so to speak . And that's a good thing, otherwise there wouldn't be much point in encrypting an archive at all.
    I don`t know how strong the password is (nor length nor syntax). But Fatty[NegX] said:
    Having some of the files in the archive helps because the program knows that the decrypted result is, and can determine the password from comparing the encrypted with the decrypted, figuring out what algo is used. (I Know this cause I had to use it once)
    And I am interested in what he ment by that.

ADI.

1. Go to the OLD Fravia site (which woodmann has archived)
    2. Find (you'll have to do that work), Quine's essay on Cracking Soundforge plugins.
    3. In the first half, he discussed the method of breaking zip (which is not his, btw) files NOT using bruteforce OR dictionary. Read that. Its very basic (obviously, Quine wanted to write an essay on SOUNDFORGE cracking, not winzip cracking). But take it from there.

There is also a paper out somewhere (my memory fails me) on PKUNZIP/PKZIP that explains this method in detail and WHY you need to have 5 files. Search for "Plaintext attack zip" in google.

You may also read:

http://www.woodmann.com/crackz/Tutorials/Zipcrkct.htm

OR

http://www.securiteam.com/tools/5NP0C009PU.html

Never tried it with RAR tho'

Have Phun
    Last edited by Aimless; January 22nd, 2009 at 12:53.
    Blame Microsoft, get l337 !!

adi
    I have studied some leads you gave me...but unfortunately I do not think they are suitable to use with Winrar
    Last edited by adi; January 22nd, 2009 at 15:34.

1) Try the website address as a password, e.g. if you downloaded the file from http:www.w00dmannwar3z.com try it as a password ( www.w00dmannwar3z.com or w00dmannwar3z ... )
    1a) Try searching the website for clues of the password
    google:// +(pass|password) site:w00dmannwar3z.com
    2) Try searching the web with archive name or file names from archive as query with the usual searching tricks

works 66.6% of time

i did try Advanced RAR Password recovery once ...

to play with Asprotect