Thread: ida misinterpreted data section as code

The Keeper

ida misinterpreted data section as code

Hello,

the data section of my program has 0xC0000040 characteristics, when i disassembled my program in ida
    it shows data section as code, i have to convert all this manually to strings, i changed the data section
    characteristics to 0xE0000020, but now i want ida to reanalyze just the data section, is it possible ?
    if not, will reanalyzing the whole program gonna make ida show data as data and not as code ?

best regards
    The Keeper
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

The Keeper

move

move to tools of trade please.
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

Blog Entries
    Hi

Moved.
    I'm a little confused, you say the data section was C0000040, which is normal for a .data section, then you changed it to E0000020, which signifies an executable .code section. Unless this was a typo, I'd say leave it at C0000040.

You can select a block of data (use the Edit function Alt-L to begin selection then scroll to end, right click and select Data to convert). To be honest your question about - will reanalyzing do such and such - kind of begs the answer, why not just try it and find out?

Kayaker

Quote Originally Posted by The Keeper
    Hello,

the data section of my program has 0xC0000040 characteristics, when i disassembled my program in ida
    it shows data section as code, i have to convert all this manually to strings, i changed the data section
    characteristics to 0xE0000020, but now i want ida to reanalyze just the data section, is it possible ?
    if not, will reanalyzing the whole program gonna make ida show data as data and not as code ?

best regards
    The Keeper
    What about idc ?
    AnalyseArea should do the trick.

you are not forced to make a script to use IDC statement, use calculator or "command line" (look config file)

Cheers.

The Keeper
    Hello,

Kayaker, its a 200mb database, i'd rather ask than loose a full day disassembling the program. the section characteristics was not a type, ida recogized the data section as code, so maybe setting it as code ida would recognize as data :P

i can select all the data section and then type 'a' for example but then it will convert like :

Jan db "January",0,"February",0

not the way i want

Jan db "January",0
    Feb db "February",0

well, thats ok, i already convinced myself to convert all those strings manually.
    AnalyseArea converts data to code, i wanna convert code to data
    Last edited by The Keeper; May 14th, 2004 at 21:31.

I offen select a block of uncorrect data, press "U" to undefine it, then select every block of string and press "a". So I will have:
    Jan db "January",0
    Feb db "February",0
    Sorry if my way is wrong.
    Regards

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Keeper
    Kayaker, its a 200mb database, i'd rather ask than loose a full day disassembling the program
    Heheh, I thought the reason for you asking might be something like that

I know what you mean though, I've had to go in and manually define string data individually like TQN mentions, it would be nice though if there was a script or plugin, if one doesn't already exist, that would correctly parse a block of data into discrete strings, recognizing null terminators and ignoring non-ascii values.

Code:
    For example, this block of data as a whole

db  4Fh ; O
    db  6Eh ; n
    db  65h ; e
    db    0 ;  
    db    0 ;  
    db  90h ; 
    db  54h ; T
    db  77h ; w
    db  6Fh ; o
    db    0 ;