Thread: Packed and probably self-checking. Help needed

rokafeller

Packed and probably self-checking. Help needed

Hi,
    I'm on a small program which is a "timer" for pc (shut down at certain time).
    You can run it 100 times, then nag appears. I discovered that it places a reg key to take count of # of executions. It also was packed, I unpacked it (PEpacker). Then found the JLE where there's the check of executions and patched. The program runs but.. some functions are altered! for example, it does nothing instead of shutting down at the set time.
    I also tried to repack it after patching.. some functions are back but completely. I think somewhere it checks its length... have you any suggestions?

Thanx
    rokafeller
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

anka_213
    You might try to set write-breakpoint on the code that changes
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

yes, as a matter of factI do have a suggestion, why are you trying to unpack it in the first place? why don't simply make a loader to reverse this JLE in memory and avoid all the self checks?

Is this program also checking its file on disk? You might have to null those checks too.