Thread: PCGuard

Crimson Sunset

PCGuard

I'm working on an unpacker for PC Guard 32 v 4.06
    and I wonder if anyone knows of any apps protected with this?

(sorry for asking such a question here, but I created my unpacker with only looking at two protected apps and I just need too be sure
    if I was able to do it correctly)

btw: if anyone has any questions on this "protector" I'll be happy to answer them (if I can)
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

there was someone asking about it no long ago - search the board and I'm sure you'll find it.

Doesn't seem to be that many PC Guard apps floating around however.

Crimson Sunset
    there was a post on THRsim11 not long ago, that was the reason for me to start this project. I have'nt seen any other apps protected with this cryptor (except PCGuard itself), it doesn't seem to be too comon.
    That makes it quite hard to find anything protected with it
    (glad you wasn't pissed off by this post)

btw: what do you think about spesific unpackers?, do you regard them as tools or cracks?
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

I'd say they were tools. However, the usefullness of an unpacker tool is not so great as a new version of the cryptor can easily fool the unpacker tool. I suppose it depends how often the cryptor is revised.

Personally, I always prefer a tut on how to unpack it manually than a program that attempts to do it all for you - these can much easily be used on different versions of the packer then. Unless of course it would take you several hours to do it manually.

h8er
    Try Cpucool (when i cracked it it was protected with PcGuard so try..)

Bye

Crimson Sunset
    Thanks h8er, I'll check it out

squidge: I'll will agree with you there, it saves you alot of time, but should only be used if you're able to unpack it manualy.
    (it's also fun to create them)

If you're interrested in the source I'll be happy to send it to you (don't think I'm allowed to upload it here)

-=QuAkEGaMeR=-
    i'd be happy if you'd send me the tool + source via email to quakeg@web.de

all eEye products?
    :DWARNING: Shareware authors are reading your detailed discussions without paying you!:D

Blog Entries
    I'd be happy if you didn't post rule breaking replies to two year old posts...

dELTA'd also be happy if he gets enough rice pudding.

Regards,
    JMI