Thread: New tool of our trade: windbg

Snatch

New tool of our trade: windbg

Yes folks. First of all lets not flame this thread with a bunch of "MICRO$OFT $UX AND SO DO ALL BLAH BLAH". Ya I think we are grown up enough to be rational and not a little emotional because we hate big companies or whatever our personal issues are. Anyway I have been using Windbg (get the latest from http://www.microsoft.com/ddk/debugging) and I have been very impressed. Doesnt crash the OS and it has a very powerful command interface. Download the symbol pack too and your talking about an easy to use multitasking good solid debugger. Maybe others havent had my luck but I would say it has good functionality and features. It is a great softice substitute unless you are debugging very low level code. For most applications it will work fine and be less obtrusive than softice. I havent used OllyDbg but I dont see how they could do any better than this.

Snatch
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

I second that.

Ditto.

With or without the debug symbols.

BTW, did you know that you can use WinDBG as a profiler (crude) that does not need any code except an IDA MAP file (formatted, o course)?

It records all functions (as present in the IDA MAP file) that get executed during an apps running. Great, if your app is in Delphi/VB or for that matter, even in ASM, to see which function(s) are called, in what order and more important, which functions to ignore for target's protection, as uncalled ones cannot have protection in them...

...Have Phun
    Blame Microsoft, get l337 !!

foxthree

2 machines...

Err... clear me if I'm wrong but doesn't WinDbg require 2 machines one the target debugee and other the development system and both connected either via Network or Serial port.

Signed,
    -- FoxThree
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

Nope

ONLY and only if you are debugging SYSTEM components (read that as KERNEL level) and not applications.

...Have Phun
    Blame Microsoft, get l337 !!

Snatch
    Did not know that but I cant wait to try it out .

Snatch

fjrp2

Smile

Hi, this is my first post

If been used windbg also, I found a reference to it in one of +reverserīs tuts for newbies (cracking for dummies, I think or filemon... anyway they are ALL great)

I have seen a thread about CodeView also, and i would like to say that, in my opinion, WinDBG is a port to WIMP IDE of CV
    They all feel the same.
    Or thatīs what I think.

Anyway, great messageboard

This is THE messageboard.
    (I feel like a reversert )

IcyDee
    (I feel like a reverser(t) )
    So do I, but how are we going to find one of them at this time of day around here!

golden_123

tut

Is there a tut on cracking with winddbg somewhere
    thx

fjrp2

Wink

Yes, If told tou: both lesson of Cracking for dummies use them.
    Search in fravias' Ancient Castle.
    You have the link down here
    (And also from tsehp )

You can also have a look at the databese at:
    h**p://w*w.msdn.com
    (they are a little bit old, anyway )

Alvin777

Re: I second that.

Originally posted by Aimless
    Ditto.

With or without the debug symbols.

BTW, did you know that you can use WinDBG as a profiler (crude) that does not need any code except an IDA MAP file (formatted, o course)?

...Have Phun
    How to attach .map file to debug session?

xxxxx

Just try it, then you never say something so stupid

I din't try it but he can't do that ccc...........

Alvin777

Re: Just try it, then you never say something so stupid

Originally posted by xxxxx
    I din't try it but he can't do that ccc...........
    You should read my question as "How to convert .dbg file to something understandable by WinDBG"