Thread: Basics of Cryptography

Basics of Cryptography

Sorry to mention this...

...but I read applied cryptography and is quite unwieldly for my, perhaps, too simple brain.

Could there be a document (not here of course, but elsewhere too) that describes cryptography, minus the mathematical/calculus functions etc...? More so, with an applied example that we can use? To something that I am familiar? Like notepad.exe or so...?

I am seeing more and more source codes for cryptography on the net, but they are TOO advanced and they might as well be useless cause my basics are not good enough in these circumstances.

I also understand that mathematics ~ IS ~ necessary for the same, but then something that introduces the same, GRADUALLY.

I would appreciate a few pointers in the right direction.

Thank You.

...Have Phun

EtErNaL_L0ser

Lightbulb a start...

You can check Cryptography section in h**p://www.damn.to

Hope that helps

Also w*w.counterpane.com has some good links..
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

tsehp
    aimless,
    I reached this cryptography subject when I came to remove the ida's watermarks, I had to deal with the license file that is encrypted with a 1024 rsa key.

The big deal was to locate the functions that were dealing with this key, you can have two techniques to succeed on this :

1-bpm the encrypted values, hoping to land into the good function
    2-getting to know some math to eventually try to understand what happens inside the listing

Rsa's math are not very complicated to understand, but it's a very necessary step if you really want to handle the problem globally, so we should not kick math out of those discussion, because they are pretty essential to understand the mechanism.

I can provide here as much as rsa docs as you want, just ask me and I'll post my docs on this place, this could maybe be a good start ?

regards,

tsehp
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

Vox Humana
    Yes, sure:
    http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/coding/379/lesson1.htm (etc.)

and

http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/~cooper/Cryptography/crypto.html

Vox Humana

EtErNaL_L0ser

Talking cool...

That would be great if you post your docs +tsehp!

Tsehp,

I would really appreciate it if you can provide documents on cryptography on your page, or as wherever you see fit. My email id is also present, if you do want to take that path too.

Thank you very much for the offer. And the assistance of all of you above who has managed to answer this thread.

...Have Phun

Blog Entries
    Hiyas,

There's a goodly selection of Crypto (and other) docs at

http://www.ebcvg.com/enc_dec.html

Some links are broken, but many are fine.

Kayaker

DakienDX
    Hello everybody !

If someone is searching for a specified crypto agorithm, perhaps I can help.

I've 50 MB of crypto source codes (but they're 40 MB zipped ), so if anyone is interested in, again, a specified algorithm source code, please email me.

I won't upoad it some where, since I think it would be deleted very fast. (404warez.html )

I just want to point out that most cryptography *is* mathematics. You quite simply won't be able to understand what's going on and why things are done a certain way without knowing at least some of the math behind it. I would suggest looking for some papers/books on basic number theory first, then going ahead to the crypto essays, etc. You'll be able to get a lot more out of them once you have the background. If you or anyone else needs any help with the math stuff, I'd be glad to explain as best I can.

McCodEMaN

RSA and simple ciphers!

Greetings aimless!

I think that looking at RSA is an easy way to start the journey, and perhaps even look at some really easy ciphers like Vigenere.
    In my RSA essay I talk about:

-One-way functions.
    -Hard-core bits.
    -Basic Modular arithmetic .
    -RSA, selecting primes, Key size and some factoring methods.

RSA Essay

Also I have written some essays about really simple ciphers, if you like I can mail them. The Vigenere essay however, can be found here:

Vigenere Essay

Hope this helps.

Regards
    McCodEMaN

read this...

I've read the book 'Cracking DES' and is exceptional reading.
    I don't think you can get it now but the info in there is great!

Almost a must read.....

tsehp

Re: cool...

Originally posted by EtErNaL_L0ser
    That would be great if you post your docs +tsehp!
    Ok here it is, it's a mathematica4 notebook. It's all in French but all the formulas are there.

good reading.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you all of you. I am started on the basics path already.

...Have Phun

EtErNaL_L0ser

Talking heheh

Thnx tsehp gotta update my french knowledge

j!m
    hi everybody,

you should find good crypto resources at
    h**p://www.ussrback.com/crypto/tree.html

(especially 'cracking DES'...)

another good start for rsa is rsa.com where you can find a good FAQ

see ya