Thread: Help with unknown packer

Hybrid View

Timmy

Help with unknown packer

I decided to have a play with CloneCd. When I try to deadlist it WDASM crashes, looking at it with PE editor (under sections) there are blanks where you would expect to see .text etc. File analysier tells me that it is processed with "unknown" and then a list of 16 bytes. New(ish) to packed progs so anyone got any pointers where to start?
    Thanks

BTW I inadvertantly posted this to the mini project area, could +Sandman please delete it, thanx.
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

notme
    asprotect .. probably asprotect v1.1 or greater depending on what version of clonecd u have.. (if its dated late august/september/october 00)

type in 'asprotect' into the search engine bit @ http://www.woodmann.net/

)
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

Timmy
    Don't know if this is relavent to anyone reading this but my machine is (has been) spot on, I regularly take care of the registry manually and I know for a fact that up untill today everything has been fine. After a cracking session, unpacking (not totally but most of the way) CloneCD I am now getting error messages at startup (usual bullshit - windows has found an error and will repair the registry, and they don't seem to want to go away). Wonder if this latest? version of asprotect has altered something or has a bug. Whatever it is it must be related to me having a look at CloneCD. So if anyone has a crack at any new progs with asprotect I would make sure you're machine is ok first and back up the registry before you start.

Hi Timmy,
    what I often do is backup my windows.
    After reversing,I'll copy it to another drive
    restore my backup win and copy it back to it
    this will save yu from reinstall everything again.Use ghost to backup, a good one

:-)

esther