Thread: 'PATCH.EXE' dungerous name!? ~:0

Blog Entries

'PATCH.EXE' dungerous name!? ~:0

fun thing encountered just now:
    extracted from zip my old little patch maker named "PATCH_BASE_KG.EXE"
    and on try execution w10 showed warning about yellow 'Do you want allow.. changes..' ?? oops? but I removed AnitVir. and not Admin required for proggy. then I came to conclusion about name! removed letter P and no more warning! "PATCH.EXE" name > again warning. "myPATCH.EXE" again..
    SillySillicony?

Blog Entries
    I remember something weird like that happening with one of my apps similarly named.

According to this thread, Windows tries to guess these applications by their filenames, and something about requestedExecutionLevel and an assembly manifest:
    • setup
    • update
    • patch

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/533939/how-to-prevent-vista-from-requiring-elevation-on-patch-exe

I tried it just now on two old random apps I wrote. In one case you can immediately see the effect changing the name to one of those three in the icon, it now has a little admin shield on top of the icon. And yet, with another app of mine there was no change at all with the icon or privilege elevation when renaming. Weird, I'll have to take a closer look at the differences.

Blog Entries
    it is interesting, from where come these checks, bcoz I not found strings in ntdl ker32 kerbase