EDIT: This thread has been split as a new topic from
http://www.woodmann.com/forum/showthread.php?15764-USB-drivers-for-Win-7-on-8th-generation-Intel-chipset
Kayaker

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker View Post
Sounds like a classic hack, lol.

"So I use IDA7.0 to modify it, use jmp and nop to block the ID Identification and Configuration Zone, make it work as a generic driver."
Sounds like someone has intentionally written the driver so it cannot be used on certain systems. I suppose that could be called 'perverse' engineering.

Having a good time trying to get XP running on the same system. Making grounds but I am stuck at the product ID page during install. Windows won't accept a perfectly legit product key from my jewel case sticker.

For anyone wondering why the interest in an XP install on a newer mobo, I have several reasons.

1)XP is still the preferred version for certain legacy games, like Myst.
2)Apparently XP really screams along on a newer mobo.
3)As Mallory claimed when asked why he climbed on Everest..."because it's there". Combine that with 2) and you have it. It's fun.

BTW...I do have XP running on a VM. Not the same for a gaming environment. I even managed to create a VM out of a backup image of XP that was saved in a VM format.

Msoft was aware of the product ID problem in the past and suggested workarounds. It has to do with slipstreaming and using nlite running on a later OS to do the slipstreaming. For a successful slipstream, it has to be done on an OS equivalent to the upgrade being slipstreamed. That means the XP version of nlite must be running on an XP machine.

I should start another thread for that but it's not really reverse engineering at my stage. Some guys over at win-raid have actually reversed drivers and modded the BIOS and registry to allow XP to use the features in modern Intel processors and motherboard chipsets. Some of it is pretty in-depth reversing.

Then there's the SP4 unofficial upgrade by harkaz. The upgrade contains XP drivers that will work on modern mobo chipsets and processors.