Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910

Thread: USB drivers for Win 7 on 8th generation Intel chipset

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker View Post
    This thread should be split at some point if it goes off topic.
    Do whatever you think is best, kayaker.

I started the thread as a general query into USB 3 drivers for W7 on a newer generation mobo. Microsoft never has supplied drivers on W7 for USB3.

I needed to find a debugger to do that and the discussion lead off into 64 bit debuggers. I needed to learn Windbg properly while finding a way to study W7 and W10 USB trees with the hope of finding a clue as to why current Intel USB 3 drivers won't load on my B360 chipset.

Currently I am trying to follow the loading sequence used in Device Manager to see if I can find a clue as to why the drivers won't activate. However, I plan to attack it at a deeper level once I get a feel for what is involved. It's a steep learning curve.

Break the current thread into two or more threads as you see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by blabberer View Post
    the instruction syscall / sysenter / int 2e / int2b etc are executed from usermode but the actual work is done in kernel mode

so you may need to wait on the other side with proper breakpoints to catch the action
    Thanks for info, Blabbs and good to hear from you.

There is good info here for me to study in windbg. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

I went back to the syscall command and set a bp on the ret address. It never broke, the code entered by syscall must have called back into the user app and likely won't return till further processes is done.

As it stands, as I indicated in an earlier post, I was barking up the wrong tree. The syscall was in code leading to an INF file and was related to an open dialog box with an OK button. I needed to activate that button and reach the next stage where the driver is loaded.

Just noted threads have been split. I have been posting to wrong thread.

Have not given up on this thread, I have just been busy on an unrelated project. I'll be back.

Quote Originally Posted by WaxfordSqueers View Post
    Just noted threads have been split. I have been posting to wrong thread.

Have not given up on this thread, I have just been busy on an unrelated project. I'll be back.
    waxfordsqueers i might got the problem fixed you where talking in page 1

i tryed to fix the problems for this old tool
    i made a beta you might try it out ?

(removed see woodmann downloads for download)

i will delete the link later its kinda off tropic since i cant send a private msg
    Last edited by Elenil; July 11th, 2019 at 03:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Elenil View Post
    i will delete the post later its kinda off tropic since i cant send a private msg
    Thanks, elenil. It's not off-topic to me. You are welcome to leave the link on this thread if you like. Kayaker might want to do something with it, however.

Blog Entries
    Of course, updates to IceStealth is always welcome.

Of course, updates to IceStealth is always welcome.
    Kayaker...noted that your join date was in 2000. Your 20th anniversary will be coming up soon.

Planning a party?

solved...but not by me

Sorry for long vacation from this thread. I have recently gotten back to looking at the problem of USB 3 drivers on Windows 7 on an 8th generation Intel motherboard. My mobo is an Asus B360M.

The problem has been solved but not by me. Using the drivers I now have full USB support on W7 on an 8th generation Intel mobo using an Intel i5-8400 series processor with 6 cores. Microsoft has never released USB drivers for W7 but a person at the following link has modded a driver to work on W7.

https://www.win-raid.com/t4883f52-Solution-Win-drivers-for-USB-Controllers-of-new-Intel-chipset-systems.html

Not sure what was done or how the person figured out what to do. In the link, he claims the mod was done using IDA and a hex editor. W7 is now running on my new mobo as well as W10 without all the overhead.

Now I am working on getting XP running on the same mobo. Don't laugh, it going well and some folks at win-raid have XP running well on modern mobos complete with hyper-threading and the ability to use multiple processor cores.
    Last edited by WaxfordSqueers; October 29th, 2019 at 00:20. Reason: URl not entered correctly

Blog Entries
    Good job someone figured it out, shame that anyone had to at all.

Sounds like a classic hack, lol.

"So I use IDA7.0 to modify it, use jmp and nop to block the ID Identification and Configuration Zone, make it work as a generic driver."

Sounds like a classic hack, lol.

"So I use IDA7.0 to modify it, use jmp and nop to block the ID Identification and Configuration Zone, make it work as a generic driver."
    Sounds like someone has intentionally written the driver so it cannot be used on certain systems. I suppose that could be called 'perverse' engineering.

Having a good time trying to get XP running on the same system. Making grounds but I am stuck at the product ID page during install. Windows won't accept a perfectly legit product key from my jewel case sticker.

For anyone wondering why the interest in an XP install on a newer mobo, I have several reasons.

1)XP is still the preferred version for certain legacy games, like Myst.
    2)Apparently XP really screams along on a newer mobo.
    3)As Mallory claimed when asked why he climbed on Everest..."because it's there". Combine that with 2) and you have it. It's fun.

BTW...I do have XP running on a VM. Not the same for a gaming environment. I even managed to create a VM out of a backup image of XP that was saved in a VM format.

Msoft was aware of the product ID problem in the past and suggested workarounds. It has to do with slipstreaming and using nlite running on a later OS to do the slipstreaming. For a successful slipstream, it has to be done on an OS equivalent to the upgrade being slipstreamed. That means the XP version of nlite must be running on an XP machine.

I should start another thread for that but it's not really reverse engineering at my stage. Some guys over at win-raid have actually reversed drivers and modded the BIOS and registry to allow XP to use the features in modern Intel processors and motherboard chipsets. Some of it is pretty in-depth reversing.

Then there's the SP4 unofficial upgrade by harkaz. The upgrade contains XP drivers that will work on modern mobo chipsets and processors.

Blog Entries
    Hey guys, I split this thread to a new topic. Please carry on there for that subject. Good to see a discussion.

http://www.woodmann.com/forum/showthread.php?15776-XP-on-modern-systems

Hey guys, I split this thread to a new topic. Please carry on there for that subject. Good to see a discussion.
    Thanks, K.