Thread: Flexnet

Flexnet

hello guys,
    i used to reverse software in the past using tools like Ollydbg and so on.
    Now i came across with a software tha uses flexnet licensing (11.12.1)
    i have read a lot of things in different sites but i havent found a guide that could help me understand what i have to do.
    I tried to read the manual of flexera, i saw some things like vedor name and vedor kess, encrypted seeds, ecc patching
    and so on but it all sound chinese to me. i saw at soma other forums tha they have some video tuts but i can not dowload them since you need reputation points. (www.finetopix.com)
    Could someone pls help me step by step what to do.
    I would really appreciate that.
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

Do you have a copy of the software in question? If so, upload it to mega and I'll have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by qd0097 View Post
    Do you have a copy of the software in question? If so, upload it to mega and I'll have a look.
    here is the link:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/u5w2304mtg1nlox/App.rar?dl=0

have a look pls and explain me please the steps of reversing it.
    I would be very happy if you could tell me what to do. I tried to patch it with olly but as far as i saw
    its not possible to do that. u have to make the lic file and imcrypt exe and so on but i couldnt understand the whole pocedure.
    I will be very glad if anyone could give me some help and hints.
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

From my understanding, the program appears to be trialware. E.g It gives you access the full functionality for the duration of the trial. In this case, 30 days.

I guess the easiest way to "bypass" this programs protection is to delete the information that alerts the program that it has been installed for longer than 30days.
    If I were you, I'd install a VM, record the install process and then see what files have been installed where.

From my understanding, the program appears to be trialware. E.g It gives you access the full functionality for the duration of the trial. In this case, 30 days.

I guess the easiest way to "bypass" this programs protection is to delete the information that alerts the program that it has been installed for longer than 30days.
    If I were you, I'd install a VM, record the install process and then see what files have been installed where.
    yes you are right this is an option. but how can i do it? can i debug tha installation set up eg with olly and see what it does???

Use a tool like Total Uninstall within the VM.

Once installed within the VM.
    1) Click 'File' -> Install New
    2) Type the program name and browse to the setup path.
    3) Click 'Launch the setup program' and let the installer do it's thing.
    4) Run the recently installed program till it opens, then close it.
    5) Click 'Program is installed' to generate the list of changes.

6) Search through the changes and find the file(s)\key(s) that store info related to the trial date.

6) Search through the changes and find the file(s)\key(s) that store info related to the trial date.
    Thank you, I will try it and let you know!

I tried it but I couldn’t manage to recognize any info about evaluation license in any file or registry key unfortunately....
    Any other solution?...

Are you sure? Did you install it in a VM or did you install it on your host machine? I'm guessing you installed it on the host machine, and that is why you did not see any meaningful info.

If you want to know another option, then you can use LordPE or CFFExplorer to look at the import/export tables of the exe. It might lead you to DocFrame.dll, it has some very interesting stuff in it.
    Install IDA Free and dissemble the program. Use the strings (Views -> Open Subviews -> Strings) to narrow down your search area. HINT: type in "licence".

Use a hex editor (Hex Editor Neo) to patch the file. This website will help you identify what hex code you need to use to convert jump types e.g. jz to jnz.