Quote Originally Posted by blabberer View Post
thats is 3 os (one xp which is a physical machine and host for two vms running windows 98 side by side )
Win 98...AAAAAARRRRRRGH!! Dual Win98....double AAAAAARRRRRRGH!!.

Actually, my ploy in this post is to con you into using softice so much that you'll like it. I gather from your blog that you have never given it much of a shot. I have spent hundreds of hours on it and I swear by it, when it's running. Running on XP with SP3, it's so solid it's sickening. It never crashes no matter what routes I take through Ring 0.

Sysini files...triple AAAAAARRRRRRGH!!

I'll have a closer look at your blog when my head clears. Thanks for the link.

instead of this i think you should do
this end is client and other end is physical host in the vm (not sure i dont have vmware installed to provide you correct info)
I'll work it out. I just wondered if there was an advantage to having the host in the VM or elsewhere.

as far as usb debugging is concerned reports are that it doesn't work properly
Technically, I'm not using USB, I am using serial with the USB acting as a conduit to the serial interface. I figured as long as Windbg sees a legitimate serial interface with full RS232 handshaking it should not care what is on the other side of the serial - USB adapter.

I have to study this more but the config for Windbg seems only concerned about what Windbg sees. If it's talking to a serial port, it should be happy. That may answer the question I posed to you. Since the only serial port I have is on the desktop, Windbg will have to be on the desktop.