I gave you a bit of a bum steer with respect to USB - Serial adapters. The USB connecter has only a transmit and a receive available in it's 4 connector tabs, the other two being +5 volts and ground. So, you have to watch what kind of USB - serial connector you buy. A basic one could give you basic functionality without full handshaking and windbg require the latter.

This converter uses a chip in the adapter to do that.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/DataSheets/Cables/DS_Chipi-X.pdf

bp 1003431 "j (poi(ebp+0x0c)==0�11f) ''; 'gc' "
Just learning to read this language. From what I know, the bp @ 1003431 is subjected to a j operator which is the windbg if/else statement. So the statement seems to be saying: break if the value in (ebp+c) = 0x11f is true. I think your " after the j operator should have a space, should it not, as in ' ', meaning true/false in windbg jargon.

I am not too clear on the poi operator yet. I know it is used to dereference a pointer. In this case, in MASM, (ebp+0x0c) is normally an address normally found with square brackets as in [ebp+c]) but in C++ it is a value. This is what I mean about Microsoft, they go out of their way to be vague. The @@ operator also dereferences pointers so what is the difference between poi and @@? It also appears as if you have to find where the message value is in reference to the EBP base, whereas in softice you simple supply the message number and the window handle.

All in all, in some cases, windbg goes to a lot of trouble to obfuscate a simple issue. As you know, in softice, you give a simple BMSG hwnd msg# and you are done. You can add a conditional statement if you want but you don't have to.

BTW...anyone reading this who is new to softice should realize, at least in my setup, that softice does not accept the message name anymore, it has to be the message number. At one time you could write BMSG hwnd WM_COMMAND, but now you have to write BMSG hwnd 111.