Thread: [Discussion] Do you have an analysis format?

Zerith

[Discussion] Do you have an analysis format?

Hey everyone.

When reversing targets, I have always been writing my findings & comments on the analysis of the target on a sheet of Notepad++ file. It is really messy and Only I (if at all) can understand it.

Furthermore, I've noticed that If i deal with a really large target with a lot of analysis required, and I'd pause and come back to the target like a week later, I'd forget all the things I've learned about the target, and my messy analysis comments on Notepad++ would be of little help to understand what the hell i was doing.

If i were to try and cooperate with someone to reverse a target, It would be almost impossible for me and him to understand each other's comments without some kind of fixed format.

So, my question is to you: Do you have your own Format for writing your Analysis, thoughts and ideas about the target you're reversing?

Please post an example format if you have one.

Thanks for any comments!
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

This actually deserves a reply as its something I'd been thinking for a long time that "there must be a better way" ;-).

I can't offer you any suggestion other than echo my preferred methods.

i). Notepad; *.txt rules still.
    ii). Keeping the commented IDB.
    iii). Source code.
    iv). All of the above + any files all in a rar/zip archive.

If anyone has something better, I'd like to know, maybe a full CRM is needed for crackers ;-).

Regards,

CrackZ.

I use CUEcards 2005 for every target for detailed descriptions, but mostly when I've finished the target. This way I know what I did even when a long time has passed.
    Furthermore I use many labels in Olly (mostly at the first instruction inside a call). I give them descriptive names. This helps a lot if I need to pause for some days, because I instantly see what a call does.
    I also use Olly's comment function a lot. Doing this I'm quickly up-to-date again.
    Additionally I use the Breakpointmanager plugin to save all the breakpoints with comments and the Godup plugin for documentation.
    I'm somewhat exhaustive when it comes to documentation because I suffered from losing sight of what I did many times in the past.
    At some point I was sick of this, so I started doing as described above.

Hope that helps

Best regards
    darkelf
    I flout Chuck Norris, Spongebob barbecues underwater!

Zerith
    Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

I would like to know if it would be possible to invent some kind of standard Protocol that can accurately describe one's findings about a target.
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

I would like to know if it would be possible to invent some kind of standard Protocol that can accurately describe one's findings about a target.
    I think that would be a good thing.

Back in the day............
    Yes, good old note pad.
    Mostly paper and a pen for me. I'm to lazy to type.

Some kind of work sheet perhaps.

Packed with:
    Encrypted with:
    Entry point:

I'm just supposing to get things started.

Woodmann
    Learn Or Die.

Anyone ever considered using a local EverNote database? I tried once but at some point I was too lazy to fire it up and reverted to some simple text editor.

OneNote

Blog Entries
    notepad.exe, a piece of paper, and pen. Never needed anything else =/

I use notepad to type my comments and ideas during the analysis. In addition, I use descriptive names/ and comments on IDA and Ollydbg. I also tend to save all logs created during the behaviour analysis on folders and put the name of those logs on my notepad file, so I would know where to check for additional information if I have any question later on. And, I save a snapshot of the virtual machine I used for as long as I think necessary. Once I done with the analysis, I summarize all major/important information in an organize type of report similar to a tut. In addition to these, I keep what I call a blackbook with new techniques or tricks I learned during the analysis.