Thread: ollydbg 2.01 alpha 4

Hybrid View

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

ollydbg 2.01 alpha 4

wow at last plugins are supportable good news

August 03, 2011 - OllyDbg 2.01 alpha 4. Here is Alpha 4, here is Bookmarks plugin

As you see, this version already supports plugins. New plugin interface is similar to the old (v1.10) but is not backwards compatible. It includes more than 350 API functions, 60 or so variables and many enumerations and structures that all need to be documented. This will take a while, therefore I decided to make a preliminary release. It includes plugin header file (plugin.h) and commented bookmarks source code (bookmark.c). Writing your own plugins without the documentation is a pure masochism, but at least you will be able to analyse the structure of the interface and send me your comments, wishes and suggestions.

This is the last alpha release. After plugin documentation is ready, I will call it 2.01 beta 1. Then I will start to write OllyDbg help and finally make the full 2.01 release. Till then, I plan no major changes.

Other new features in this version:

- Patch manager, similar to 1.10
    - Shortcut editor, supports weird things like Ctrl+Win+$ etc. Now you can customize and share your shortcuts. I haven't tested it on Win7, please report any found bugs and incompatibilities!
    - Instant .udd file loading. In the previous versions I've postponed analysis, respectivcely reading of the .udd file till the moment when all external links are resolved. But sometimes it took plenty of time, module started execution and was unable to break on the breakpoints placed in the DLL initialization routine
    - Automatic search for the SFX entry point, very raw and works only with several packers. Should be significantly more reliable than 1.10. If you tried it on some SFX and OllyDbg was unable to find real entry, please send me, if possible, the link or executable for analysis!
    - "Go to" dialog lists of matching names in all modules
    - Logging breakpoints can protocol multiple expressions. Here is an example: I ask OllyDbg to protocol the contents of EAX, EBX and 4 memory doublewords starting at address ESP. Expressions must be separated by commas, repeat count has form SIZE*N, N=1..32:

alpha 3 was way less stable than alpha 2 - I just hope olly did fix the stability in v4.
    IDA debugger cant really keep comparison with olly... no way

... but hell yes, plugins

(to me, just being able to use olly on 7x64 had been a TRUE blessing)
    I want to know God's thoughts ...the rest are details.
    (A. Einstein)
    --------
    ..."a shellcode is a command you do at the linux shell"...

Blog Entries
    (to me, just being able to use olly on 7x64 had been a TRUE blessing)
    I've been running 1.10 fine now for 1 year with Stealth64 on Win7x64... of course you can't debug 64 bit apps...

Olly 1.1 surely works in 7x64, but not completely.
    It has some subtle yet irritating problems that makes it hardly usable over the time, and forced me many times to switch to IDA debugger.
    Olly 2 has not such problems, and it is a bless. IDA debugger is not nearly useful as Olly for advanced debugging.
    (A. Einstein)
    --------

Blog Entries
    Maximus,

What kinds of problems do you have on 7/64? Curious because I haven't run into any in a long time... maybe I'm doing the wrong sorts of reversing

-rendari

hmmm... let me remember. Keep in mind they were somewhat 'weird' and did not always appear.
    I had the x64 plugin fix, of course, but it didnt help.

1) attach didnt work. Now, it may seems not useful as feature, but attach is essential.
    2) I was having some weird problem running/stopping code, even when not attaching.
    3) some other minor, irritating problem i do not remember... ah, i.e. sometime breakpoint didnt trig and ended looping forever, etc

Olly is simply too powerful for r3 debugging, no way
    (A. Einstein)
    --------