Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IDA 6.1 Leaked

As Above

Bengaly,

I have absolutely no intentions of imposing my views on software piracy. I am quite sympathatic those who say that software (exclusive, and made by small companies) such as hex-rays are adversely affected because of leaks, though I don't get particularly weepy when they are. I also do not condone people making money off their hard earned programs. I have no qualms whatsoever with that concept.

What I am saying is, I don't like people making statements that you should NOT CRACK the software itself, at all. Why not? I can crack anything I very well wish to. Pirate it, distribute it --- well, that's another ballgame. Here, we are talking about people talking about how we should NOT CRACK it at all. Not pirate it, not spread the crack, not spread the knowledge, just NOT TO CRACK IT AT ALL. Worse, I absolutely HATE it, when people AUTOMATICALLY associate, and club cracking with piracy. As you did. Yes, cracking is a percusor to piracy, but that does not mean you should associate it such. It is precisely because of these reasons that people look down upon crackers as 'bad guys'. F+ tried for YEARS to disassociate this. Remember his statement that this site would henceforth host only knowledge and not cracks? THAT is precisely why. If you are a cracker, you are a pirate. That is not an accurate assessment. And yet, in making statements such as the one YOU did, you are unknowingly, associating cracking with piracy. And I take serious objection to that.

I blew up to your response, because you said "yet you spit in". I read it as a direct attack to the crackers. I believe, if I crack the software, and use it for my own purposes, it should be OK. Curse me if I distribute the crack, but don't condone me for cracking something in the privacy of my own home. Your message came across to me as just that. Just because its IDA, does not mean I cannot crack it, or use it for my own purposes. Feel free to pass judgement and curse me when I distribute the patches. THAT is what brings companies down, not cracking. And yet people associate this phenomen with cracking. Oh! his program was cracked. That is why his company went down. NO! The crack was SPREAD. Hence his company went down. The pirates are guilty. Not the crackers. And this line cannot afford to be blurred.

That is the point of confusion. Daniel got confused because of that. Of course, he's too young in this field (only 9 years) and still has stars in his eyes with his marriage to Hex-rays. And with the recent threat, he cannot see it from a detached angle. When your livelihood is threatened, fine lines like these tend to become blurred. I have no grouse towards him. I merely mentioned to him what I am telling you. I have no issues when people object against piracy (though I myself, for the record, am NEUTRAL towards piracy) by take offense when people object against cracking itself. Who is anybody, to pass judgement on what I crack in the my home and use it for my own purposes?

For the record, I agree (in small measure) that small companies should have their software paid for AND not have their program cracks floating around. But I disagree that someone should not CRACK it, even for his/her own purposes.

And I don't really agree TOO MUCH to the fact that you should think about small companies (again, this is MY opinion).

After all, I am sure Ilfak did not stain his pillows with his tears when Datarescue (then), brought Peter Urbanik and his company down, right?

Peace.

Have Phun
    Blame Microsoft, get l337 !!

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry, but the confusion doesn't seem to be on my part on that. I just posted because I thought your answer to Bengaly was aggressive and the attitude made my eyes roll.

Aimless please note that the topic started with the link to a leak. Not knowledge whatsoever. Cracking IDA, as noted CrackZ, is easy.

I didn't post because I'm connected to IDA (more on that later), but normally on this forum I don't see links to leaked software and I wouldn't even have bothered posting if it was only the link to the leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless
    I read it as a direct attack to the crackers. I believe, if I crack the software, and use it for my own purposes, it should be OK. Curse me if I distribute the crack, but don't condone me for cracking something in the privacy of my own home.
    This has never been under debate. I personally have cracked/unpacked programs when I was 15-17, although I have never released a crack, I only wrote some tutorials for others to read. For instance, the first program I have cracked in my life was mIRC. I have bought a mIRC license nonetheless. Some programs I couldn't afford at the time and only paid for them when I started working.

That is the point of confusion. Daniel got confused because of that. Of course, he's too young in this field (only 9 years) and still has stars in his eyes with his marriage to Hex-rays. And with the recent threat, he cannot see it from a detached angle. When your livelihood is threatened, fine lines like these tend to become blurred. I have no grouse towards him. I merely mentioned to him what I am telling you. I have no issues when people object against piracy (though I myself, for the record, am NEUTRAL towards piracy) by take offense when people object against cracking itself. Who is anybody, to pass judgement on what I crack in the my home and use it for my own purposes?
    No offence taken and none intended. I don't want to flame, really.

But don't threat me as a company man. While it is true I work for Hex-Rays it is also true that I have now my own company. I doubt that the leak will cause big problems to Hex-Rays such as previous leaks had. But I can't speak for Hex-Rays and I'm not.

When I was much much younger I experienced a pirate version of a program of mine right after releasing it. As a developer you always have to consider whether to use a commercial protection and possibly bother customers or only use a minimal protection. I always chose the second option, because for many programs which are both too big and critical, using an advanced protection might make the program unstable and of course harder to debug in case of a crash etc.
    Also, I always believed by mistake that making the protection of a program incredibly stupid would make the crackers smile and ignore the program. Not so. There's plenty of untalented crackers who jump on it and release it just to exhibit another trophy.

Since when did RCE start having feelings for Software Developers?
    Why not.

Programmer Run Amock... Bengaly's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Aimless,

I never said you can't crack for your own personal gains (knowledge, free copy..etc), but distributing the crack is something else, it hurts the software you so dearly depends on..

just like SICE, IDA could be dead someday ...
    "knowledge is now free at last, everything should be free from now on, enjoy knowledge and life and never work for everybody else"

As above

Okay.

I think this has stretched out too far.

Daniel, I'd like to thank you for your civilized responses. A tip of the hat for you for those. I am sure Ilfak is richer in spirit for your presence in Hex-rays

Bengaly, I'll move with the assumption that I misread your comments and hence the counter comments from me. I'd also like to admit it was a bit too pushy when I came to the defense of the crackers. Please excuse my abruptness.

I'd like to offer an olive branch to both of you --- Daniel and Bengaly.

And others who could possibly have been offended by the harsh nature of this thread. Though I'll take responsibility and say I started it.

I'll still continue on my opinion that cracking *any* software at home and using it for personal purposes is fair game. Regardless of how big or small the developer is.

As far as spreading the crack is concerned, I'll keep my neutral stance. I don't condone it. I don't cheer it.

As far as having feelings for software developers, and Daniel's positive take on that, all I can say is: SMOOOCHHH!!! (that was me kissing Ilfak and every other small developer --- not a pretty sight, by any means )

And finally, thanks to the great Woodmann... for having the patience to tolerate us on *HIS* board. I'd love to squeeze you in appreciation, you big Daddy!

Crackz. Next time I buy you a few crates of beer you olden goldie! And you can teach me how to RCE the barcodes on the crates. Using gronked copy of IDA 6.1 of course!

Okay, everything is sunny and bright and pink and smells of jasmine and roses again.

Peace: ON!

Have Phun

Blog Entries
    Thanks Aimless for your nice response.

I agree with you and let's thank Woodmann for keeping this space alive

Peace.

Blog Entries
    New IDA Leak, this time it's a copy stolen from ESET with all the newest updates such as newest Hexrays decompiler:

http://pastebin.com/GGHKqx7E
    Last edited by Silkut; July 15th, 2011 at 16:06. Reason: nevermind

Ouch !

Sp0raw on a roll !!!

Lot of hostility between him and Ilfak.

Any of the ones in the know, want to comment in on this?

Have Phun
    Last edited by Aimless; July 13th, 2011 at 12:04.

There isn't much moral high ground for anyone here, but this release was inevitable.

However, IMHO, sp0raw is wrong for releasing this for the damage it will now cause to the future development of IDA as a product and Ilfak is wrong to maintain his hypocrisy of 'selectively choosing which ex-crackers' he sells his product to.

This one will run and run.....(for a while).

Regards,

CrackZ.

While I personally think that there'd be a moral on doing releases (aka understand if the damage you deal to the company is sustainable by it), my main point on IDA was utilitaristic, rather than moral:

I need IDA etc, I need it developed further. I guess every cracker/reverser need it developed further. I dont want it to be SoftIce 2nd, or the endless Olly2win7 story.

About the Sp0raw's story on IDA licenses... actually, they are less restrictive than he says (unless he changed them recently).

...and in the end, was Ilfak right or wrong believing that selling him a license would have caused a leak? :P
    I want to know God's thoughts ...the rest are details.
    (A. Einstein)
    --------
    ..."a shellcode is a command you do at the linux shell"...

As far as I'm concerned, I'm happy that my company bought IDA 6 It greatly improved our productivity in the technical audits I led that included reversing.
    No need for the latest one...for now.
    Please consider donating to help Woodmann.com staying online (here is why).
    Any amount greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Now it's really leaked!!!

yep... now its official a full leak of IDA 6.1 with HexRays 1.5 from ESET

read all about it here:
    http://habrahabr.ru/blogs/infosecurity/124054/

LaBBa >

Здравствуйте, с вами говорят Чип и Дэйл

На сайте проводятся плановые профилактические работы. Пожалуйста, никуда не уходите, скоро все будет тип-топ.
    Chip&Dale..?
    Please consider donating to help Woodmann.com staying online (here is why).
    Any amount greatly appreciated. Thank you.