Thread: strange ollydbg question

strange ollydbg question

Hi

Is there anyway to set current directory for created process when we start a process for debugging?

Regards
    I should look out my posts,Or JMI will get mad at me! ;)

Hi,

I'd suggest to either start the process from the directory you need or use SetCurrentDirectory() to explicitly set it.
    Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkelf View Post
    Hi,

I'd suggest to either start the process from the directory you need or use SetCurrentDirectory() to explicitly set it.
    Hope that helps.
    hm....
    I cannot start process in the folder that I need, but for using SetCurrentDirectory, I guess I need to assemble it in my code. is there any simpler way?

How about breaking on GetCurrentDirectory (and the like) and edit it on the fly?
    Maybe your program has a commandline switch to set the working directory (that's possible but unlikely). Maybe you can write a script - ODbgScript will happily execute the SetCurrentDirectory stuff for you or...
    Be creative

Regards
    darkelf

<script>alert(0)</script> disavowed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    hm....
    I cannot start process in the folder that I need, but for using SetCurrentDirectory, I guess I need to assemble it in my code. is there any simpler way?
    If you don't want to assemble in new code, you could launch OllyDbg in OllyDbg, break on CreateProcess(...) in the child OllyDbg, and modify lpCurrentDirectory. Still not ideal

Quote Originally Posted by disavowed View Post
    If you don't want to assemble in new code, you could launch OllyDbg in OllyDbg, break on CreateProcess(...) in the child OllyDbg, and modify lpCurrentDirectory. Still not ideal
    Hm...problem in here is that you cannot debug created process immediately and you need to attach created process...
    I guess best option right now is to assemble a small code to call SetCurrentDirectory and then recover old code again...
    I wish this option were added to ollydbg v2.0, but it seems it this one is missing. but it is an easy one,but donna if I can add this option with a plugin or not.

EDIT:
    I solved it using OllyScript.
    Thanks for everyone's help and suggestion.
    Last edited by Hero; August 22nd, 2010 at 15:00.