Thread: bios reversing

Angry bios reversing

I'm trying to find an particular series of instructions within the bios source I have. The instructions initialize the SMRAM. I know that this configuration must be initialized using the in/out instructions and that the immediate that is moved into the eax register during this initialization is something containing the string xx00009D, or something like that. THe problem is that the bios source code can't be directly disassembled into mneumonics. Instead, all I have to work with is opcode. I've tried searching for opcode that looks like the opcode for the instructions I want, but this hasn't worked so far. Any suggestions on how I can find these instructions, or even a general way to go about constructing code and data from opcode through the use of softice? Is there a name for the process of trying to construct code and data from opcode? If I know what it is called, Maybe I can find other forums that are dedicated to this process.
    Quality Before Quantity
    Noble Struggle Before Mere Achievement
    Honor Before Opulence

Blog Entries

well you should refer to :

Contact your bios manufacturer to see if they have a reference or two there..
    Then with what information that can be gleaned from that search, do a search for bios modification ...

Sorry the only answer I have is for you to search more. :{

regards BanMe
    No hate for the lost children;
    more love for the paths we walk,
    'words' shatter the truth we seek.
    from the heart and mind of Me
    me, to you.. down and across

No more words from me, to you...
    Hate and love shatter the heart and Mind of Me.
    For the Lost Children;For the paths we walk; the real truth we seek!

Blog Entries
    Hi

You'll probably want to look into the Intel System Programming Guide Ch. 24 System Management Mode (SMM), and PCI programming

PCI Local Bus Specification Revision 3.0
    http://fpga-faq.narod.ru/PCI_Rev_30.pdf

as well as some extra Intel docs specific for your system, i.e.

IntelŪ 82848P Memory Controller Hub (MCH) Datasheet

What you're probably seeing is the API (or equivalent of)

Code:
    _WRITE_PORT_ULONG@8 proc
        Port            = dword ptr  4
        Value           = dword ptr  8

mov     edx, [esp+Port]
        mov     eax, [esp+Value]
        out     dx, eax
        retn    8
    _WRITE_PORT_ULONG@8 endp
    Where Value is your xx00009D (any chance it's 0x8000009C?)

What you probably want to look for is sequences with the values CF8h and CFCh, which are signatures for the standard CONFIG_ADDRESS/CONFIG_DATA register mechanism (CFCh/CF8h ports) as defined in the PCI Local Bus Specification. It is through this interface that you communicate with SMRAM.

What you need to do then is interpret what is being read/written through those PCI ports. IF you see the CFCh/CF8h signature then we're probably talking about the same thing and I can provide a few examples that might help interpret the "bits inbetween".

Why don't you post a short bit of code that encapsulates the IN/OUT instructions you're seeing?

Kayaker

yeah, you're right Kayaker. I forgot that I'm supposed to be looking for 9C, not 9D, because I forgot the registers are dword aligned, or something like that.

Here is an example of the in/out set of instructions

Code:
         db      66h
    seg000:4E06                 bswap   edx
    seg000:4E09                 mov     dx, ax
    seg000:4E0B                 db      66h
    seg000:4E0B                 bswap   edx
    seg000:4E0E                 mov     al, 80h ; 'Į'
    seg000:4E10                 mov     ah, dh
    seg000:4E12                 db      66h
    seg000:4E12                 bswap   eax
    seg000:4E15                 mov     ah, dl
    seg000:4E17                 db      66h
    seg000:4E17                 bswap   edx
    seg000:4E1A                 mov     al, dh
    seg000:4E1C                 and     al, 0FCh
    seg000:4E1E                 db      66h
    seg000:4E1E                 bswap   edx
    seg000:4E21                 mov     dx, 0CF8h
    seg000:4E24                 out     dx, eax
    seg000:4E26                 shr     eax, 8
    seg000:4E2A                 mov     dx, 0CFCh
    seg000:4E2D                 xchg    eax, ebx
    seg000:4E2F                 in      eax, dx
    seg000:4E31                 xchg    eax, ebx
    seg000:4E33                 db      66h
    seg000:4E33                 bswap   edx
    seg000:4E36                 xchg    ax, dx
    seg000:4E37                 jmp     di
    It's kind of hard to tell which port is being read. I think the way pci configuration works is that, whatever port number is contained in the eax register when the "out" instruction is executed, is the register that is sending data to the eax register when the "in" instruction is executed. Kind of hard to tell because the port isn't an immediate. Also, searching the bios code for 9C 00 00 or 9C 00 00 80 byte sequence isn't effective in this case. What port do you think these instructions are working on? (I think the code above the bswap instruction is probably another hardware configuration, so i think something jumps to the bswap instruction, starts executing from there.)
    Quality Before Quantity
    Honor Before Opulence

Blog Entries
    It's a little hard to tell from this snapshot, but I think we can make a few assumptions.

Opcode 66h is defined as a Operand-size override prefix or Precision-size override prefix.

BSWAP is defined as
    Changes the byte order of a 32 bit register from big endian to little endian or vice versa. Result left in destination register is undefined if the operand is a 16 bit register.

So the 66h is part of the bswap instruction in this case. If written in 32 bit code, bswap edx = 0F CA. In bios code it's 66 0F CA.

We can't really tell what was in eax/edx at the start of this code, but if we look at the known parts of the instructions

mov al, 80h
    bswap eax

eax will be 80000000 after executing these 2 instructions (assuming the rest of the register bits were 0).

Now let's go down to the next part

mov al, dh
    and al, 0FCh

I'm going to make a leap of faith here and say dh contains 9D (I'll explain why in a minute).
    So eax is already 80000000
    then it becomes 8000009D after mov al, dh
    after the AND instruction it becomes 8000009C.

Aah, 8000009C is familiar right?

The next instructions write the value of eax = 8000009C to PCI port CF8. This is equivalent to the WRITE_PORT_ULONG API.

mov dx, 0CF8h
    out dx, eax

Now if we look at the Memory Controller Hub (MCH) Datasheet (for my 82848P system it's in section 3.5 DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface Device Register Address Map) we find that 0x9D is the address offset for the SMRAM System Management RAM Control Register (Device 0). The SMRAMC register controls how accesses to Compatible and Extended SMRAM spaces are treated. A little further down are details of each of the bits in the register.

Here's a little snippet which simply reads the complete contents of the SMRAM register. You should be able to see where the 0x8000009C comes from. In this code it's the CONFIG_CMD macro, in your bios code it's embedded within all those cryptic bswap instructions and the final 'and al, 0FCh'.

Code:
    #define MCH_SMRAM	0x9D        // SMRAM System Management RAM Control

#define CONFIG_ADDRESS  0x0CF8	// Configuration Address Register
    #define CONFIG_DATA	0x0CFC	// Configuration Data Register

#define CONFIG_CMD(bus, dev_fn, where) \
    	(0x80000000 | (((ULONG)(bus)) << 16) | (((dev_fn) & 0x1F) << 11) | (((dev_fn) & 0xE0) << 3) | ((where) & ~3))
    // 0x80000000 enables CONFIG_ADDRESS Configuration Enable (CFGE) bit 31	

/* alternate definition
    #define CONFIG_CMD(bus, dev_fn, where) \
     (0x80000000 | (bus << 16) | (dev_fn << 8) | (where & ~3))
     */

////////////////////////////////////////////////////

ULONG Bus = 0;
    	ULONG Device = 0;
    	ULONG Register = MCH_SMRAM;	// SMRAM System Management RAM Control 0x9D  

ULONG Original_CONFIG_ADDRESS;	
    	ULONG current_MCH_SMRAM;

////////////////////////////////////////////////////

// DbgPrint("%08X\n", CONFIG_CMD(Bus, Device, Register)); // 0x8000009C

// Save original Configuration Address Register (0x0CF8) value 
    	Original_CONFIG_ADDRESS = READ_PORT_ULONG((PULONG)CONFIG_ADDRESS);	

// Specify which address to read/write to by writing to Configuration Address Register
    	WRITE_PORT_ULONG((PULONG)CONFIG_ADDRESS, CONFIG_CMD(Bus, Device, Register));

// Read result from Configuration Data Register
    	current_MCH_SMRAM = READ_PORT_ULONG((PULONG)CONFIG_DATA); 
    //	DbgPrint("MCH_SMRAM %08X\n", current_MCH_SMRAM);	// MCH_SMRAM 0038_0A_00

// 0A 1010  bits 1 3 set
    	// bit 2:0 C_BASE_SEG - hardwired to 010
    	// bit 3 Global SMRAM Enable

And here's what that sequence looks like disassembled

Code:
    mov     ebx, ds:__imp__READ_PORT_ULONG@4

mov     edi, 0CF8h
    push    edi             ; Port
    call    ebx ; READ_PORT_ULONG(x)
    mov     [Original_CONFIG_ADDRESS], eax

mov     esi, ds:__imp__WRITE_PORT_ULONG@8

push    8000009Ch       ; Value
    push    edi             ; Port
    call    esi ; WRITE_PORT_ULONG(x,x)

mov     ebp, 0CFCh
    push    ebp             ; Port
    call    ebx ; READ_PORT_ULONG(x)
    mov     [current_MCH_SMRAM], eax

The expanded versions of those API's as you see in the bios code are:

Code:
    _WRITE_PORT_ULONG@8 proc
        Value           = dword ptr  8

mov     edx, [esp+Port]
        mov     eax, [esp+Value]
        out     dx, eax
        retn    8
    _WRITE_PORT_ULONG@8 endp

_READ_PORT_ULONG@4 proc

mov     edx, [esp+Port]
        in      eax, dx
        retn    4
    _READ_PORT_ULONG@4 endp

Hopefully this gives you an idea of how such a sequence is written in "normal" 32 bit code, and how it equates to the type of thing you might be seeing in the bios code.

Errmm, I've been sort of side stepping this, but while there are valid reasons for 'initializing SMRAM' as you put it, this is also exactly in the realm of SMM rootkit code and is why I'm familiar with the details. Is there any chance this is actually what we're talking about here?

Kayaker

Wow, you really know your stuff. I'm not trying to develop an SMM rootkit. I couldn't, even if I wanted to. I don't have that level of skill. I need to unlock the SMRAM for a different purpose. Thank you so much for your help, Kayaker.
    Quality Before Quantity
    Honor Before Opulence

I assume you already know this, but just in case. You can't unlock SMRAM once it's been locked. So, what you're trying to do is to stop it from being locked in the first place.

Depending on the persistence of what you're doing, I could maybe help you. You say you're not doing a rootkit. That's good, can you elaborate a little more on what you ARE doing?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRizzo View Post
    I assume you already know this, but just in case. You can't unlock SMRAM once it's been locked. So, what you're trying to do is to stop it from being locked in the first place.

Depending on the persistence of what you're doing, I could maybe help you. You say you're not doing a rootkit. That's good, can you elaborate a little more on what you ARE doing?
    I thought that you could write to SMRAM whenever you wanted to, as long as you unlocked the D_LCK bit and set the SMRAM to Open. Do you remember where you read that the SMRAM can only be locked once?

I'm trying to write an extension for a virtual machine, and the extension needs to run in SMM mode.
    Quality Before Quantity
    Honor Before Opulence

Quote Originally Posted by Vigual View Post
    I thought that you could write to SMRAM whenever you wanted to, as long as you unlocked the D_LCK bit and set the SMRAM to Open. Do you remember where you read that the SMRAM can only be locked once?

I'm trying to write an extension for a virtual machine, and the extension needs to run in SMM mode.
    Google this "D_LCK SMRAM", and choose any of the top results there. I've been working on SMRAM at the office for the last few months. TRUST ME on this. Once D_LCK is set, it's set until the next reboot.

Wow. I can't believe I haven't seen that paper before. I'm going to throughly read the section on circumventing the D_LCK bit. Thanks for the advice.
    Quality Before Quantity
    Honor Before Opulence

Quote Originally Posted by Vigual View Post
    Wow. I can't believe I haven't seen that paper before. I'm going to throughly read the section on circumventing the D_LCK bit. Thanks for the advice.
    Definitely read the part about how the exploit only works on certain old boards, and how Intel has fixed it on the newer ones.