Thread: JAR Signing Issue

JAR Signing Issue

Dear friends,

I have a problem in patching java-based software. I have decompiled it, made necessary changes, compiled it again and made JAR archive.

The problem is that original JAR was signed, so application does not start due to verification problems.

I do have .csr file (certificate request), .key file (private key) and .crt file (certificate). How can I sign this JAR archive? Is it possible at all?

Thanks!

http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jarsignerexe.html

however, creating your own private key/self signed certificate wont help much, you still have to ultimate trust your self signed public key in the keystore of your java runtime

alternatively just remove the signature - you dont need a signed jar file to run it (ok, it depends, some crypto providers need to be signed)

Quote Originally Posted by Harakiri View Post
    however, creating your own private key/self signed certificate wont help much, you still have to ultimate trust your self signed public key in the keystore of your java runtime
    I want to sign it with 'original' certificate, not with my one. I have that certificate, I have private key also. The question is how to import them into keystore and then use in jarsigner.
    Last edited by Velos; June 4th, 2010 at 08:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Velos View Post
    I want to sign it with 'original' certificate, not with my one. I have that certificate, I have private key also. The question is how to import them into keystore and then use in jarsigner.

sorry, i cant help lazy people - i provided a link which contains all references and further documentation to your issue

Quote Originally Posted by Harakiri View Post
    sorry, i cant help lazy people - i provided a link which contains all references and further documentation to your issue
    Well... Actually I have performed a lot of researches before asking... Quite useful link is this one:
    http://www.agentbob.info/agentbob/79-AB.html

And I think it's not a big problem to help other people when they need help. Nobody knows everything, and obvious things for one person could be challenging to other. It's not a reason to call somebody lazy.

<script>alert(0)</script> disavowed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Velos View Post
    I want to sign it with 'original' certificate
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22sign+with+a+certificate%22

You'll see the following:
    • "Well, you don't sign with a certificate" (the very first hit)
    • "You cannot sign with a certificate since it only contains the public key"
    • "remember you do not sign with a certificate"

You were called lazy above because you clearly didn't use Google before asking your question.

Thanks for your post. I also have the private key that is used to sign JARs. Of course, standard tools do not allow to import it to the keystore, but I was sure it's possible.
    Last edited by Velos; June 6th, 2010 at 11:15.

The easiest way to remove this is by simply deleting the two files called the“SIGNFILE.DSA” and “SIGNFILE.DSF” in the “META-INF” directory.

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie291983 View Post
    The easiest way to remove this is by simply deleting the two files called the“SIGNFILE.DSA” and “SIGNFILE.DSF” in the “META-INF” directory.
    I have tried that, but it doesn't help. When software is starting, I get JAR verification exception...
    Last edited by Velos; June 7th, 2010 at 12:22.

what kind of exception is it:

java.lang.SecurityException ?

I have successfully signed my jar with private key and certificate. Thanks for help! The issue is solved