Thread: [Ollydbg] how to break at main() function just like GDB?

deathhex

Question [Ollydbg] how to break at main() function just like GDB?

Hello people,

Is there any plug-in or setting that allow Ollydbg to break at main() function by itself during debugging for any type of application? Cause most of the time I have to locate it and set it myself.

Thank you.
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

Hello.

In case you're speaking of OllyDbg 1.10 you can check the debugging options on the Events tab. The option is titled "Make first pause at" (System breakpoint, Entry point of main module - default, WinMain (if location is known) - the one you're searching for).

I'm sure OllyDbg 2.0 has got such an option as well.

deathhex
    Hello anom,

I did change the debugging options but it seems not working.....
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

mjuad
    I've seen this problem with a few people recently. If you're on a 64 bit operating system, you'll need a plugin to allow 64bit compatibility. You'll know this is the problem if you drop into ntdll repeatedly and get "single step" events. OllyAdvanced comes with an x64 compatibility mode option that can probably solve your problem. You can find it on any number of sites with RE tools including the collaborative RCE tool library linked above. Hope this helps!

Regards,
    mjuad

deathhex
    Sorry, I forgot to mentioned that I am using 32 bits OS. On the other hand, the program was compiled under cygwin.

I think there is room for ollydbg to improve.

Thank you.