Thread: Current legal status wrt emulators

Hybrid View

Current legal status wrt emulators

Spectrum Software, and others in the business refer to the following legalese:

http://cryptome.org/dmca102700.txt

As I read it, this determination appears to have expired in 2003. Is there an updated ruling or have I misinterpreted the above referenced text?

Mr Montoro's site, refers to a 2006 ruling that backs up the earlier ruling. Unfortunately, he does not provide any reference.
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

This is my week for looking foolish. Wasn't looking in the right place. The ruling is covered in 37CFR part 201.40. Specifically:

37CFR 201.40.B.3
    Computer programs and video games distributed in formats that have become obsolete and which require the original media or hardware as a condition of access. A format shall be considered obsolete if the machine or system necessary to render perceptible a work stored in that format is no longer manufactured or is no longer reasonably available in the commercial marketplace.

This appears to be what I was looking for. My apologies for wasting bitspace.
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

No, not a waste at all.

Quite useful information .

Thanks, Woodmann