Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CSI x Reverse Engineering

Novice User

Lightbulb CSI x Reverse Engineering

what do you get when you cross CSI and reverse engineering...
    u can see my post #.. im still a newbie..

Spontaneous combustion of the cranium ?

Woodmann

The logical conclusion would be "a dead reverser" since there is no need for CSI unless there has been a crime. ALthough, there certainly are crimes lessor than those which result in a dead body.

Another possible logical conclusion would be a "reverser" going to the slammer, since their "crime" might be discovered. And the paradox of the CSI investigator having to arrest themself for "reversing."

Regards,
    JMI

Well if you reverse engineer CSI, wouldn't they be investigating a birth?
    Even as darkness envelops and consumes us, wrapping around our personal worlds like the hand that grips around our necks and suffocates us, we must realize that life really is beautiful and the shadows of despair will scurry away like the fleeting roaches before the light.

Blog Entries
    this question comes down to to what makes up each to find out the real answer.

I think they are different aspects of the same basic studying abilities..one that pursues the understanding of real life events, and the other pursues the understanding of the events that transpire in the virtual. so basiclly they are almost congruent in terms of goals and throughness of analysis. but what makes them different is the techniques involved in attaining 'proof of concept', and most certainly 'Validation of concept' is required alot more with CSI.as alot more 'evidence' has to be gathered and motives have to be determined 'reasonable' in 'our' justice system for the CSI investigator, that is somewhat similar but is far less 'regulated' then the Reverse Engineering community, even though almost the same quantity of evidence is gathered in process of RE, the evidence usually only holds meaning and provides understanding to those following in the footsteps of the 'suspect'...lol

so CSI * Reverse Engineer in my opinion you would get a crazed individual with a exceeding insane attention to detail and capable of analyzing the real world as well as the virtual with a knack for finding the weaknesses in both.

BanMe
    Last edited by BanMe; September 4th, 2009 at 21:58.
    No hate for the lost children;
    more love for the paths we walk,
    'words' shatter the truth we seek.
    from the heart and mind of Me
    me, to you.. down and across

No more words from me, to you...
    Hate and love shatter the heart and Mind of Me.
    For the Lost Children;For the paths we walk; the real truth we seek!

Not to rain on your parade, but you appear to be basing alot of your supposition on CSI TV shows.

My son works in the field and spends a great deal of his time analyzing blood samples collected from recently deceased individuals. That's the easy ones. Then there's those not "recently" dead. He uses a number of hi-tech machines which assist in that process and which require him to be good at noticing color changes as the sample is burned. That tells him whether certain products are in the blood sample. He is also asked to determine how much alcohol someone may have consumed and when.

Yes there is attention to detail, but, generally, the work involves many individuals who have specialized responsibilities and it is not filled with a few photogenic people who go out and do "everything" themselves with a few samples, and then arrest the perps. That's just TV. They don't carry guns and they don't arrest people, but they do, occasionally testify at trial.

Regards,
    JMI

Blog Entries
    damnit from now on imm write my answers in notepad..and reread them 5 times before posting..i was gonna make that point..to..I was in process of editing..and filling out my broken sentences and mangled thoughts.
    Last edited by BanMe; September 4th, 2009 at 22:28.

I think your replies are proof of what happens when you cross CSI with Reverse engineering .

You develop a form of OCD that cannot be satisfied because you are stuck in a logic loop.

Suck that for a while .

Woodmann

Blog Entries
    I've been contemplating that for most of my life, but I refuse to take ritalen or adderall..so I cope in my own ways,and yes,doing 'life' this way is OCD forming,but I am not on some psychostimulant other then some greenery ..But maybe you have a better way or more logical way for me to deal with this problem, or maybe its not a problem,but some fucked up gift...either way,your words on it are intended to incite me..hmm why is that?

BanMe

p.s. It is better to be logicly looping and refining thoughts and sententecs into something 'presentable' or more functional, then it is to tread in the darkwaters we now test..
    Last edited by BanMe; September 5th, 2009 at 22:00.

I taunt you not...........

My comment was intended for JMI also because he will CONTINUE any discussion until someone relents. Now, given your nature for perfection I can foresee the two of you having many more discussions regarding this topic until the answer is revealed.

What if there is no answer?

You know, like what is the last number?

Woodmann

Blog Entries
    but the 'letting' of thoughts is good, I thought.

the variant 'points' and debatable arguments are all what it comes down to and 'that' is why I posted..to discuss and comtemplate the outcome..
    I agree with jmi that my 'supposition' looked to be based on the '1' man/women(face) doing all of it..but that is not how I intended it. I was getting to the part where i was gonna add on that each individual contributes to the great 'whole' of the evidence 'gathered'..be it from w/e field of study.. this is different from RE in that one individual studies the works 'of many' and in 'many' other areas we have no 'uniform' method of evidence sanitization as is 'required and regulated' by a CSI worker..

@woodmann:
    If he continues so will I..and maybe we will come to agreable conclusion.. or some 'form' of 'a' overall generally appliable 'solution' to the answer..to not strive to reach that point is failing ourselves, and I can't do that anymore...i've failed to much already..

BanMe

200th post woot aim for 500 now
    Last edited by BanMe; September 7th, 2009 at 13:16.

In light of Woody's comments, I refuse to "continue this conversation."

Guess I'll have to OCD another one. Oh, and that's how I got to 4,791 posts.

Regards,
    JMI

Blog Entries
    bah failing yourself is one thing,giving in due to the 'goadings' of another based on their opinions is a systemic disease.my own words have finally brought me into the midsts of someone else like me,who has opinions and thoughts and is willing to logicly debate them(I mean you JMI..) in a OCD like manner with understanding forethought and afterthought,but then shit starts to slide and 'someone' is warned and it fails to pieces..that is not the desired outcome I wish to be involved in..

BanMe

OK,

So now I NEED to figure this out.

CSI aka crime scene investigation and reverse engineering.

CSI is to determine who and why ?
    Reverse engineering is to determine how and why ?

CSI: Who (me) Why (I needed to know)
    RCE: How (how does it work) Why (to either make it better or steal it)

What do you get when the two cross?

Ugggghhhhhhhh.......... I........just.............dont............know

Woodmann

Blog Entries
    the 'whos' and 'whys' run 'deeper'. ex:who did what when,and how..And why, being the 'motive' behind the 'crime'..for CSI..and for RE it's 'how does it work,How can it be 'broken',why can it be 'broken',Can it be fixed or 'exploited',Is there anything I can 'learn' from this'(in everyones case hopefully).

A piece of this 'opinion' by me comes from JMI's explanation of his son's 'field of' staring at blood for miscolorations.. during heating, what I gained from that small bit was a satisfactory description of the nature of 'some of' the 'normal' jobs in csi.so upon further thought,ive come to this assumption..

you would get a person capable of the 'repetitive' life(the S.O.S.D.D ppl) and capable of infectious learning equiped with a mind always looking for weakness in the 'inheritant' nature of life as we know it',hopefully this isn't that far off..

as you said earliar "I think your replies are proof of what happens when you cross CSI with Reverse engineering ." or maybe that was to JMI or maybe both or 'all' or w/e..

I think you get someone 'not so disimilar' from me or you..or anyone, with the drive to get something done..and the ability to not procrastinate about 'starting' to do something,or the 'framed' mind to fail before starting..all these variances..damn them..

BanMe
    Last edited by BanMe; September 7th, 2009 at 18:24.