Thread: Android - DEX file format

Blog Entries

Android - DEX file format

Hi,

i was playing a bit with android os dex files, which are the equivalent to java class files. I'm interested in the layout and so on.

But currently there seems to be no public file format specification at all. I found a chinese web page which describes the dex file format rudimentary but that is not enough for me.

Has anybody more information about DEX-FileFormat ?

Regards,
    OHPen

PS: I already know the android dex dumper, and yes if i won't found any further information about the format i will reverse engineer the dumper. so alternative solutions are welcome
    - Reverse Enginnering can be everything, but sometimes it's more than nothing. Really rare moments but then they appear to last ages... -

JPsor
    Quote Originally Posted by OHPen View Post
    PS: I already know the android dex dumper, and yes if i won't found any further information about the format i will reverse engineer the dumper. so alternative solutions are welcome
    RE'ing the dexdump binary? Google has released the source code for Android including source for dexdump, dx and other tools. Some documentation(dalvik bytecode, dex format) is also included in the source tree.

Google Android "Get source" page
    http://source.android.com/download

There is also a tool, dedexer, that disassembles in a more understandable format.
    http://dedexer.sourceforge.net/

There was another project at CanSecWest about decompiling dex files. It's called undx and it has a sourceforge project page but no source code is available. The presentation looks interesting:
    Decompiling Dalvik and other JavaFX - Marc Schoenefeld
    http://cansecwest.com/csw09/csw09-schoenefeld.pdf
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

Blog Entries
    Great JPsor,

that was exactly what i have been searching for. With the source, I don't need any other resource to understand the dex file format. And yeah i read that there should be the source of android somewhere, but i didn't find any link to the source.

Thx dude,
    OHPen.
    - Reverse Enginnering can be everything, but sometimes it's more than nothing. Really rare moments but then they appear to last ages... -