Thread: USB protection

Hybrid View

USB protection

I just wanted to know what methods do you guys use to prevent flash drives against those autorun viruses
    These small autorun viruses have become very common these days because of pen drives is there a way to write protect the drive?
    Found in the OpenGL header file for Visual C++ 6: 'typedef GLint int '. AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!! [Don't get it? You're not a C programmer.]

A hacker does for love what others would not do for money.

Being married to a programmer is like having a cat. You talk to it but you're never really sure if it hears you, much less comprehends what you say.

Howdy,

I would get a drive that you can set the read and write permissions on.

If not, there are av progs that you can put on the drive itself to stop it from picking up such shit.

I learned the hard way .

Woodmann

son of Bungo & Belladonna bilbo's Avatar
    I didn't want to trust my eyes but it is true because I have experienced it: the latest version of XP (SP3 is not just enough, you have to enable the Automatic Updates too or manually apply all the Microsoft Security Updates after SP3) is resistent to this kind of viruses (up to now)

Best regards, bilbo
    Non quia difficilia sunt, non audemus, sed quia non audemus, difficilia sunt.[Seneca, Epistulae Morales 104, 26]

First ever!!!

Somebody's sig is larger than the msg body.
    :P

Have Phun
    Blame Microsoft, get l337 !!

@Woodmann : but the av progs dont start by themselves when plugged into some work computer having a virus. I think even if you set the AV to "autorun on usb connect" the virus can always change it.

@Aimless: :P thoses were some nice computer related quotes i found that i thought people here might find amusing
    Found in the OpenGL header file for Visual C++ 6: 'typedef GLint int '. AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!! [Don't get it? You're not a C programmer.]

Being married to a programmer is like having a cat. You talk to it but you're never really sure if it hears you, much less comprehends what you say.

Here is a link for what I was talking about.
    http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/1917

There are others, just search.
    Something like "av for thumb drive" or some such thing.

Woodmann

If you want to protect your usb, you may try Usb Vaccine from panda antivirus. http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/downloads/usbvaccine/ It creates special autorun.inf file that is impossible to delete with ordinary tools. Of course this trick only works for FAT and FAT32 flash drives. Who has NTFS formatted flash drive anyways?
    "There is only one road to human greatness: through the school of hard knocks." Albert Einstein

I am gonna try it out

This is a very useful tool as there is no simple way of disabling the AutoRun feature in Windows.
    thats false
    its a piece of cake to disable autorun on windows (even for usb)

Update: I tried it. Autorun.inf cannot be deleted. whats so special about it? what trick does it use?
    Last edited by GEEK; July 18th, 2009 at 07:09.

check if it added an hidden stream to the file into the ntfs partition.
    I want to know God's thoughts ...the rest are details.
    (A. Einstein)
    --------
    ..."a shellcode is a command you do at the linux shell"...

the flash drive has got FAT32 partition so adding streams is not possible