Thread: Getting to grips with IDA

Getting to grips with IDA

Hi to everyone,
    Following Kayakers advice I'm trying to learn how to use IDA. I've started with TiGa's video lesson 1 but cant get it look like it does in the video.

I'm using IDA Pro and when I start it up I dont get the icon that looks like a rubic cube, the graphical view does not look the same.
    Did not get the options to load different modules or specify image base.

Having no wish to be bashed I have looked on the web and in the help pages in the prog but have not found the answer.

If this is simply a difference between the standard version and the Pro version would I be better off learning on the standard version first?

Regards,

<script>alert(0)</script> disavowed's Avatar
    what version # are you using?

Using 4.7.0.830 (32Bit). I reset settings and now its just about like in the tut it asks me what segments I want to load and what the image base is etc. In the tut the graphical display it shows the two options from a conditional branch as red and green lines and when you click on these it takes you to that part of the code in the view A window. Mine does not do that.
    The graphical view just seems to run wingraph32 which displays the information with options for cartesian views and other views but its not interactive.

Naides is Nobody
    If I am correct, 4.7 did not include the debugger. I think TiGA used for his tuts 5.0 or above.

Thanks naides, I did notice a new version on the web site I'll give that a try.

Version 5 did the trick can now follow TiGa's video and it all works as it should.
    Thanks for the help.