Thread: Help with Ultra Edit ver 7.20a

xOptiMus

Help with Ultra Edit ver 7.20a

Hi all

I've just managed to patch the latest version of Ultra Edit ver 7.20a. However it was'nt my intention to patch it, I started out fishing for the serial, but after a few days of no luck decided to make do with patching it.

I'm usualy quite good at tracing serials, but this prog has so far beaten me! I just can't seem to even get near to it. I know the damn prog must check the serial that I enter with the real one somewhere - but where, I just do not know!

Can anyone give me a hint as to where I should be looking for this serial check? Is there some method I can use to track it down? I've tried breaking on hmemcpy, GetWindowTextA, GetDlgItemTextA etc, but they don't work. After entering a username and serial the prog informs you that it must shut down to check the serial, so I guess that it must do it's check when you restart it.

Please can someone help, I'm clean out of ideas.

xOptiMus
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

tsehp
    maybe yes, maybe not.
    One method is to freeze the target just after entering the serial, you can do a bmsg on the button's handle, check for hwnd command in sice, good doc about it on cracker's notes.
    Then you bpmb or bpr it, meaning that a read or write access to the serial you entered can lead you to the check routine.
    win32 api's can copy it a lot into several mem locations before, so take a good trace of where it was copied.
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

witch
    Try to intercept WM_CHAR message.

Instructor
    Hi, I can send you an own tutorial about
    cracking this, but sorry only in german.
    I think, the String data ref will help you.

Please give me your email-adress, if you want it.