Thread: Is this behaviour of Virtual Memory normal?

Is this behaviour of Virtual Memory normal?

Hi all
    I noticed if your virtual memory has PAGE_READWRITE or PAGE_READONLY permission, it is enough to execute what is in that memory page even thouh you don't have PAGE_EXECUTE permission.
    Is this a normal behaviour of Virtual memory?
    I personnaly think this answer is yes, So this is main reason of DEP feature of windows.
    But I want to prevent a page from execution, BUT be readable(so I cannot use PAGE_NOACCESS). Any idea how I can do this?
    I were not able to find some good article for it. If you know please provide me one....

Hmmmm,I think total question can be abstracted into this:
    "How I can emulate a DEP inside my application without using windows DEP?"

Regards
    Last edited by Hero; October 8th, 2008 at 02:46.
    I should look out my posts,Or JMI will get mad at me! ;)

Camus SoNiCo
    Mm.. First idea to my mind is to register yourself as the exception handler, and emulate a mechanism like the OS with Stack...
    I promise that I have read the FAQ and tried to use the Search to answer my question.

Why not use DEP?? It easy to set up and I have been playing with it for some time now and it usually works out ok. This is a Olly plugin that demonstrates how to turn on DEP for a remote process through a bit of code injection.
    It then uses DEP as a BreakOnExecute breakpoint in Olly. http://portal.b-at-s.info/downloadt.php?id=13
    Plugin isn't 100% finished though (but it works) because I only meant it to demonstrate the nifty things you can do with DEP

Hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by jstorme View Post
    Why not use DEP?? It easy to set up and I have been playing with it for some time now and it usually works out ok. This is a Olly plugin that demonstrates how to turn on DEP for a remote process through a bit of code injection.
    It then uses DEP as a BreakOnExecute breakpoint in Olly. http://portal.b-at-s.info/downloadt.php?id=13
    Plugin isn't 100% finished though (but it works) because I only meant it to demonstrate the nifty things you can do with DEP

Hope it helps

I was thinking about same usage of this emulated DEP.But somebody had this idea before me...

Regards
    Last edited by Hero; October 9th, 2008 at 00:25.
    I should look out my posts,Or JMI will get mad at me! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by jstorme View Post

Hope it helps
    Good work, but don't ship the 3MB .ncb file -- it's useless and will be regenerated automatically, it's just your local autocomplete file.
    --
    Best regards,
    Alex Ionescu