Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: RECON 2008

Howdy,

I would love to hang out with you's.
    I can drive there but with the price of gas I could probably fly cheaper .

Woodmann

Quote Originally Posted by TiGa View Post
    Extra Tip:5)If you get your ass kicked by the locals for seemingly no reasons beside insulting their language and their cultural identity, remember #4.TiGa
    I've hung around with Quebecois who have a good sense of humour and can't understand what the language and cultural stuff is about. There are a few soreheads who can't get over the Plains of Abraham, after which they were allowed to keep their language and culture.

I'm from the other coast, the 'wet' coast, and we have French rammed up our butts, even though there's no more than 1000 French speaking people in our province. We don't whine about that until we drive into Quebec and find it's illegal to post signs in English. We have no interest in brawling with certain Quebecois over that, even though French-only signs are against Federal Law. So a few French signs overwritten with English should be taken not only as humour, but as equalization.

I know what your saying, however. I've had locals in Montreal refuse to speak to me in English, even though they are quite capable. I'd like to think they are in the minority. I've met too many decent, open-hearted people in Montreal to think otherwise. That's partly what makes Montreal such a great place to visit.

Let me just "nip this in the bud" right here.

The Province of Quebec is a predominatly French speaking Province.
    (French, meaning Canadien French, not France type French).

While you are free to take "pokes" at each other, I dont need an international language war. It only makes things worse.

Be respectful of the people in Montreal and we shall all have a good time.

Now, lets focus on beers and RCE stuff. But mostly beers .

Woodmann

Blog Entries
    I know that it was only a joke.
    I'm a French-Canadian from Montreal so that's why I see things differently.

Like Woodmann said, if you go elsewhere in the province of Quebec beside Montreal, the English-speaking rate is almost 0.
    Even Montrealers that only speak English are stuck in Montreal.
    They happen to be the minority even if they are lucky enough to speak the right language from birth.

I leave it at that but I honestly think it was a dumb thing to write and I see it the same way as "Let's go to New York and write 'Bin Laden Rules!' everywhere".

Anyways, I hope Woodmann has not already forgotten that beer he promised me.

TiGa
    Programming today is a race between software engineers to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots.
    So far, the Universe is winning.

Quote Originally Posted by TiGa View Post
    I leave it at that but I honestly think it was a dumb thing to write and I see it the same way as "Let's go to New York and write 'Bin Laden Rules!' everywhere".
    I have already left it alone and I'm glad you took it as humour. I said it entirely with tongue in cheek. Also, it was a shot at the politicians and the sign law, not the French-Canadian people. I've discussed this with French-Canadians in the past and no one took offense at what I was saying.

Feel free to PM me if you feel like a civilized conversation. I have always had fond feelings for Montreal and you can't have those feelings for concrete and trees. The French-Canadian culture, as well as the comopolitan nature of Montreal is what makes it for me.

I will be there as always :-)

Looking forward to meet people from this forum, and drink like there is no tomorrow (CrackZ, you better get your ass in Montreal )
    Real ones don't need source

<script>alert(0)</script> disavowed's Avatar
    i'm now registered. looking forward to seeing all of you there!

We have an extension until May 31... LOL
    The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once. [A. Einstein]

Ok, I am already registered and made all my reservations, now I have a questions for any one that either live or have been in Montreal before. How is the cost of living?, or better said how much I am expecting to expend per day on food and taxis?.

I need to figure out how much to bring in Canadian Dollars. I particularly don't like to carry to much money in cash but from traveling in Europe and the Caribean, I had come to realize that in some countries there is not easy access to atm machines, if there is any at all and in others paying with Credit card is too much hazard. Thus, it is always a good idea to bring some petit cash.

Plus, what type of weather should I be expecting?. I am bringing my UMPC which has a solid state harddrive, Has anyone experienced any issues with this type of harddrive and airport security? I believed there was something somewhere about it where the airport screeners where having problem differiencing a solid state hardrive and a explosive device.

Naides is Nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    Ok, I am already registered and made all my reservations, now I have a questions for any one that either live or have been in Montreal before. How is the cost of living?, or better said how much I am expecting to expend per day on food and taxis?.

Cost of living? between fucking expensive and outrageous. Food: If you limit yourself to fast food, is cheap, but it gets very expensive, very fast, if you are into the incredible selection of excellent restaurants. Taxi? Public transportation (metro) is the best in North America. Besides, every thing that matters is within walking distance from Downtown

I need to figure out how much to bring in Canadian Dollars. I particularly don't like to carry to much money in cash but from traveling in Europe and the Caribean, I had come to realize that in some countries there is not easy access to atm machines, if there is any at all and in others paying with Credit card is too much hazard. Thus, it is always a good idea to bring some petit cash.
    Last time I was there, every place took Euros and American dollars, ATM were always available and for every thing else, there is MasterCard

Plus, what type of weather should I be expecting?. I am bringing my UMPC which has a solid state harddrive, Has anyone experienced any issues with this type of harddrive and airport security? I believed there was something somewhere about it where the airport screeners where having problem differiencing a solid state hardrive and a explosive device.
    June 12? a toss up between glorious late spring and fucking hot. A walk into the old city by the St. Lorenz river waterfront, calls for fresh, shorts and T shirt wardrobe. Put your hard drive and your UMPC in the check-in luggage, buy a good book/magazine for the flight. it is not cool to be typing on your laptop at the cabin, anymore.
    I'll see you there. . .

<script>alert(0)</script> disavowed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    I had come to realize that in some countries there is not easy access to atm machines, if there is any at all and in others paying with Credit card is too much hazard.
    Montreal is a safe enough city, so I'd say any place you plan on using your credit card won't be much of a security risk. And besides, almost all credit card companies reimburse the holder in full for fraudulent charges.
    Also, as naides said above, there are ATMs everywhere in Montreal.

Quote Originally Posted by owl
    I believed there was something somewhere about it where the airport screeners where having problem differiencing a solid state hardrive and a explosive device.
    You're thinking of this: http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/03/10/macbook.air.confusing/

Blog Entries
    It will probably cost you more on hotel rooms than food.
    I live there and I'll probably take the subway instead of my car.
    There is the beer factor too... The night life can be the most expensive part of the trip, it depends on you.
    Doing crossword puzzles alone in your room is free but boring.

Last time I was there, every place took Euros and American dollars, ATM were always available and for every thing else, there is MasterCard
    Naides is priceless.
    Most ATMs are compatible with the Cirrus/Maestro/PLUS networks.

Canadian airports are not as paranoid as in the US.
    I remember hearing about a BlackHat trainer that got turned around at the US border last year.
    http://addxorrol.blogspot.com/2007/07/ive-been-denied-entry-to-us-essentially.html

TiGa
    Programming today is a race between software engineers to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots.
    So far, the Universe is winning.

Howdy,

No need to worry about anything in Montreal.
    Yes food is expensive but you only need to pay for dinner and beer.
    The breakfast and lunch spread is plenty big for free food.

The weather in 05 and 06 was very warm to plain old hot.
    Most of us just wear shorts and a T shirt.

Woodmann

Naides is Nobody
    Actually, Montreal is the only City in the world where you can pay a lapdance from a stripper by swiping the magnetic strip of your credit card between her labia majora.
    It is amazing technology!

Yah! But I really don't like the idea of where she's most likely to be keeping your receipt!

Regards,
    JMI