Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Windows Vista Issue

Blog Entries
    Well, I found a lot of errors too, even in simple things like the registry. I don't quite remember the code example (I saw it years ago), but I remember it was wrong. Only two weeks ago I discovered that when I disable the FS redirection in a 32bit app on x64, common dialogs and shell functions won't work...
    This might have to do something with LoadLibrary looking in the 64bit system32 directory instead in the WOW64, I guess, but it's a real bugger. I had to replace the CreateFile with a "RealCreateFile" which disables the FS redirection, opens the file and then re-enables the FS redirection. Of course, nothing of this whatsoever is mentioned in the msdn.

<script>alert(0)</script> disavowed's Avatar
    Just because I like arguing ...

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Pistelli View Post
    It should be a little more subtle, in my opinion.
    Why be subtle? People know MS is a private company with investors and as such their goal is to make money for their investors. No sense in hiding it; this is what all corporations do.

I think that appearing less money-driven can bring huge profits from an enlarged community who likes buying the product.
    Neither you nor I (nor most people on this board) are the target community. Microsoft (and most other big software companies) makes their money from large businesses that buy MS software en masse. Not from developer/researcher communities. (That said, Microsoft would obviously be screwed if the developer community was not actively developing software for Microsoft products.)

And regarding MSDN, come on, man! MSDN is pretty god damn good compared to other technical libraries its size. Yes, it could certainly be improved -- that's what all those "Click to Rate and Give Feedback" and "Send comments about this topic to Microsoft" links are for on each MSDN page. If you see something wrong, let them know. They like fixing things

And Daniel, despite all my arguing, please don't take it personally. I know you're new to this forum, and I hope you continue to post regularly and share your ideas and viewpoints.

Blog Entries
    Pardon me for interrupting. I'm sure he understands disavowed, he's not that new here
    (Explorer Suite/CFF Explorer?)

Blog Entries
    Yep, formerly Ntoskrnl, that's me. (http://ntcore.com/)

I'm not that new around here, right.

Don't worry, I don't take it personally. MS makes most of the money out of OEM versions and when a big corporation like DELL announces to sell many computers with XP (instead of Vista) again, because users request it, well that's sure not an easy thing for MS. I agree that the dev community isn't the main direct source of money for ms, but it's point c). Without the software developed for it, Windows is just an operating system. Windows had the most users even when it had an unstable kernel like the one of Win9x/ME. That's because most software / drivers were to be found for windows.

MSDN is still pretty good, no doubt about that. But it's not getting better. Instead many pages which worked are now broken links. And you see from microsoft no big interest in keeping it really up-to-date. They seem to care much more in keeping the .NET part documented. And it shouldn't be this way (imho).
    Last edited by Daniel Pistelli; January 9th, 2008 at 06:18.

Vista is failing/will fail because it's an inferior product to Windows XP. Excluding DX10 games, there is no compelling reason for anyone to upgrade from XP to Vista. The price of Vista really has quite little to do with its failures, in fact apart from "Ultimate" the pricing for Vista is quite comparable to the original pricing for XP (take into account RRP, actual retail price and inflation in the intervening years). People have shown they're quite willing to pay high prices for software they feel they need (Office, any Adobe product etc). The problem is that nobody needs Vista.

I'm still using Windows 2000 and Office 2000 on my main machine. It's fast, works perfectly, and allows me to do everything I need to do. The one and only change I would potentially make is to switch to Outlook 2003, but apart from that I have no reason or need to upgrade.
    Still here...

...because Windows xp IS an upgrade from Micro$oft Windows ME 2, Aereo Edition...

...because I would pay for Xp 64-bit edition, not for ME 2, gold 64-bit edition...

..and so many persons around the world.
    Persons so disgusted by Vista that planned to buy a MAC, or asked me about ubuntu, if it is 'easy'...
    I want to know God's thoughts ...the rest are details.
    (A. Einstein)
    --------
    ..."a shellcode is a command you do at the linux shell"...

Yep, formerly Ntoskrnl, that's me.
    Ahh, well in that case, welcome back

Blog Entries
    Thanks =)