Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Collaborative RCE Tool Library - official discussion thread

Hi dELTA, think I've found a small bug. If I go to the library then click on "My Contributions", on the resulting page I am unable to expand the "by target"/"by tool" categories. When I mouseover the + symbol an underscore appears; clicking the + does nothing. It's as though the CSS for that icon is broken on that one page. Clicking the library logo (or manually returning to the front page) lets me expand the categories as normal.

Firefox 2.0.0.11.
    Still here...

The library is starting to be quite big and an extended search function is becoming an urgent addition. The google engine is not satisfactory, most of the times doesn't give results, it is not up-to-date, because of google spiders delays, and is not able to resolve dynamic pages..
    When there will be a custom internal search engine?
    (`._.[*~-.,.-~* ŜħůβŇĝŕřāŧħ ₪*~-.,.-~*]._.)
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
    http://www.accessroot.com

Blog Entries
    Google has just started to index it, so let's give it some time. Also, the category hierarchy should be very efficient for finding most things.

There are a bunch of obstacles for creating a local search engine, so I will probably don't have time to complete such a thing in a while (other things have much higher priority), but I will look into it later.

[EDIT]
    Hmm, on second thought, I might be able to whip something together sooner than I thought, stay tuned...
    "Give a man a quote from the FAQ, and he'll ignore it. Print the FAQ, shove it up his ass, kick him in the balls, DDoS his ass and kick/ban him, and the point usually gets through eventually."

Blog Entries
    And thanks for the heads-up Silver, I've been planning to remove those pages altogether actually, for several reasons, so now I did. Problem solved.
    "Give a man a quote from the FAQ, and he'll ignore it. Print the FAQ, shove it up his ass, kick him in the balls, DDoS his ass and kick/ban him, and the point usually gets through eventually."

Blog Entries
    I'm happy to report that all the tool pages are now properly indexed by Google, and thus the "search option" in CRCETL works like a charm. I will still be looking into adding a "local" search option too though, as soon as time permits.

PAD files

just an idea - why not using PAD files to refresh info about the updated tools automatically?
    a lot of tools use these to submit the software to the sites like tucows or download.com.

see: http://www.asp-shareware.org/pad/

A.

Blog Entries
    Hi KaKeeware, and thanks for your suggestion. I'm indeed familiar with PAD files, and there are sadly several disadvantages making them unsuitable for the Collaborative RCE Tool Library:

1. They contain only information from the application/tool authors themselves, while the CRCETL is meant to contain quality information from real users of the tools, not semi-facts with a sale-spin.
    2. Practically only more serious shareware program authors use PAD files for their products (contrary to smaller informal tools, most free tools, and also more serious commercial tools). This applicable category of tools is quite uncommon in this field, so this feature would sadly not be applicable to most tools to begin with (irrespective of the quality and desirability of the contents of the PAD files).

Actually, both these problems are two of the main reasons to create this tool library to begin with. With its update RSS feeds (both individual, per category or for the entire library), it's meant to be a quality source of PAD-equivalent information for all RCE tools, created collaboratively by the people who know the tools best, from a user perspective!

Thanks for your input anyway, suggestions and feedback is always appreciated.

hmm, what do we do if the tool type sort of overlaps?... making multiple entries could get messy and be a right pain to update

@delta:
    read http://www.google.com/coop/
    and add a single custom engine based on http address of the library -setting to NOT return other results that those in site.

You then have your personal google search on your library. No need to wait refresh or such.
    I want to know God's thoughts ...the rest are details.
    (A. Einstein)
    --------
    ..."a shellcode is a command you do at the linux shell"...

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tip Maximus, I'll look into that. I will also see what I can do for a fully local search engine soon. I have reserved some time to do some update work on CRCETL during the next three weeks. Hopefully a local search engine and some other cool stuff will come out of it. Stay tuned...

And evlncrn8, if you are referring to multiple categories for the same tool, this is one of the main ideas that have always been handled from the start. The entry of a tool will automatically appear in all categories that it is tagged as being member of. It is really the same entry though, so if any of these locations are updated, it will be immediately reflected in every other place where the tool is visible too.

Blog Entries
    During the last week I've applied a bunch of additions and smaller bug fixes to the Collaborative RCE Tool Library site.

If you notice any problems, please let me know!

Please see the following update announcement for more details:

http://www.woodmann.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11349

Enjoy!

Blog Entries
    I just made the following updates to the CRCETL:

Enjoy!

dELTA keeps "polishing" his baby and it keeps shinning brighter and brighter. Keep up the good work!

Build a better Collaborative RCE Library and the whole world will beat a path to your server.

Regards,
    JMI

I think this concept is great. Hopefully, more ppl will share and use this very useful library.

All Hail the Collaborative RCE Tool Library Maker, and please tip your glasses with Vodka, because it is what dELTA usually drinks. (Don't say that word too loud around Zairon, however, because he's sworn off the stuff after a visit with dELTA, and is now sticking to red wine.)
    That would be me, also.

cheers mate.
    If at first you don't succeed, you're just about average

That's a thankless job you're running there, dELTA. It's so very easy for us all to take and give nothing back, but I'll take the liberty to speak for everyone when I say that we truly appreciate your efforts with the CRCETL. I'm not going to make this year's RECON, but you can rely on me for a pint when our paths meet
    www.ring3circus.com
    Diary of a programmer, journal of a hacker.